Sunday, May 14, 2006

Run in All Weather Condition

Please click here to view some of the runners present at Bukit Aman car park this morning.

I woke up at 4am this morning fully charged for the 20km training run starting at Bukit Aman in two hours’ time. As usual, I went out of the house to do stretching exercise and at the same time assess the weather. I could see it was almost full moon on the eastern end, and the moonlight illuminating those scatted of white clouds in the sky.

While I prepared my breakfast, I heard slight thunder and saw faint flash of lightning. I thought to myself, looks like this time, we have to invoke Meng’s running condition: run in all weather condition. As compared to last week, we have to run in all physical condition. Luckily, the effected thinned away and the rain did not materialize.

At the Bukit Aman car park, there were quite a number of runners arrived just before 6am. As planned, we started our run to Sri Hartamas, a 20km journey which would take about two hours. There were five of us: Nori Yamazaki (in short, Yama), Patrick, Meng, Weng and I. Yama led the pack. After one kilometer in the run, I began to realize that Yama increased his speed and the whole pack keenly pursued.

Not used to running fast at the initial stage, I began to feel the strain. At the uphill stretch after the Bank Negara LRT station, I was puffing needing more oxygen. Since I have not done much running in last two weeks, I could not keep with the pace. It is just too easy to loose form in running. Without focus and not consistent in training, my body could not run at faster tempo.

How I wonder that I could run faster last time. Eventually, the other three runners were out of sight and I ran at a slower pace with Weng. Later, Meng did a loop-back method to run with us again.

Back at Bukit Aman car park, I praised Yama for having a consistent pace. Contrary to what I thought, he said that it was Patrick that ran fast that pushed him to maintain the lead.

There were more runners compared to previous Sundays. Adam and Jenny Lim were manning a booth for the collection of bibs and T-shirts in the coming New Balance 15km Run on Sunday, 21 May 2006, organized by Pacesetters Club.

I was pleased to complete the 20km training run amid having poor form in running. I later rewarded myself by going to Di Kayu Nasi Kandar at Taipan, USJ to savor hot and spicy chicken rice with teh tarik.

By KC

No comments: