Wednesday, May 03, 2006

Getting Even

Stay tune for hundreds of beautiful scuba diving photos taken at Sipadan. Courtesy of Weng.
.
"One of these days I'm going to get even with you!" is a state­ment all of us are familiar with. People are either threatening to or actually getting even with others. The problem with get­ting even is that we will never get ahead, which most of us want to do.

I love the story of what happened during the days of the Berlin Wall. One day some of the East Berliners decided they were going to send their West Berlin adversaries a little "gift." They loaded a dump truck with garbage, broken bricks, stones, building material, and anything else with zero value. They drove the truck across the border, gained clearance, and dumped it on the West Berlin side.

Needless to say, the West Berliners were incensed and were going to "get even" with them. They were going to "pay them back." Fortunately, a very wise man intervened and gave entirely different counsel. As a result, they responded and loaded a dump truck with food (which was scarce in East Berlin), clothing (which was also scarce), medical supplies (which were even scarcer), and a host of other essential items. They took the truck across the border, carefully unloaded it all, and left a neat sign that read, "Each gives according to his ability to give."
x


Among the things you can give and still keep are your word, a smile, and a grateful heart.

Text above is extracted from the book: Something to Smile About by Zig Ziglar

Note by KC: Weeks ago, one of the runners asked me whether those photos with runners in action taken by me and published in my web site were chargeable.

“Those are free,” I said. “Download them if you like. If you want the originals, just email me your request.”

She asked why I would do it. I replied that taking photos was something I particularly like to do, and I have the capability to do it – at amateur level.

Coincidently, a few days later, I came across this uplifting and enlightening passage which was quite similar to my thoughts at that moment though the subject matter was entirely different.

No comments: