Tuesday, May 09, 2006

The Reward

I sent my car for changing of cylinder oil (or commonly called black oil) on Saturday 6 May at 9.30am. I drove to one Goodyear Service Centre near my house in USJ. After assessing my request, the boss identified a mechanic to attend to me.

This worker – in his late forties with noticeable amount of grey hairs – wearing shirt and pants smeared in dirt directed me to the correct platform. After I had properly parked the car, the routine or mechanical tasks began: he opened the bonnet; opened the cap of cylinder block. He would then press the green button of the hydraulic platform to lift up the car exposing the undercarriage. He then unscrewed the oil sump nut and oil filter.


I tried to converse with him in Bahasa Malaysia but I could not seem to understand clearly what he said. That prompted me to think that he is an Indonesian. He looked like those typical Indonesian workers who work in construction sites with sunken cheek highlighting the bony face. The only difference was that he was taller.

I noticed that he was very focused in his job. He did not talk much, and did not invite much to be talked. Every engine part that related to oil change, he would then use a cloth to wipe the parts clean – not once but a few times.

After refilled with new cylinder oil, he would then ask me to start the car engine to gauge the proper oil level. Seeing that it was not sufficient, he then opened the cap again, poured more cylinder oil, wiped the parts clean until he was satisfied that the optimum level of oil was achieved.

I was quite impressed with his thoroughness in his work. In this case, it is the opposite of shoddy customer service that exists everywhere.

When the job was done, I went to the counter to pay the fee. On the way to my car, I whipped out RM 3 and gave him without his boss knew. I could see he was taken aback at first and later beaming with appreciation when he regained his composure. He did not expect that I rewarded him with tips. He said something that I could not understand again but I knew he was thanking me.

Seeing the happiness in his face, it reciprocated my feeling on a free and easy non-working Saturday. What a good morning to start the day after having lifted my spirit. The way to feel better about myself is to make someone else feel better. A simple gesture could actually made two people happy.

To this Indonesian worker, it was a situation that he did his best, and the reward, whether small or big, would come as a surprise.

Similarly, in running, we just do our best – tackle every run or race wholeheartedly as if there is no tomorrow. The reward may not be obvious if we are not the top runners eying for positions and prize monies. But overtime, on certain occasions, when our friends, colleagues or relatives of similar ages were having health problems and we are still living in the pink, we know that the reward was there.

By KC

2 comments:

C-CUBE said...

KC, Indeed it is very noble of you in rewarding the mechanic. I always believe in tipping someone when that gave u a good service. The FISH Philosophy - MAKE THEIR DAY, and you have made his day - something good to start off with.

cheers....

Anonymous said...

Hi C-Cube,
Thanks for your comments... KC :-)