Tuesday, December 20, 2005

Singapore Marathon - The Race (Part 2)

Note by KC: This is the concluding part of SIM report.

Quotable Quotes

The quotable quotes were really motivating. With too much jerking of the brain, somehow, I could only remember a few as follows:

There is a window to the wall. Find it.

Run with your mind.

Mind over matters.

Fear is courage for one extra minute.

Finish what you started.

Earn the finisher T-shirt.

Don’t stop; you never know how close you are to success.

Keep going, and you will end up at your destination.

Reading the quotes here and reading them in the race has entirely effect. The effects of these quotable quotes were really fantastic. It could really charge me up.

Cheering Teams

This was a big let down. After first 10km, there was none. Another 5km down the road, still there was no sight of them. Occasionally, there was one or two solo cheering that gave me the much needed boaster. It was very quiet this time compared to last year. I saw a teenage boy holding placard cheering runners and I actually gave him a high-five to acknowledge his effort.



I could not believe, at 30km mark, there was still no sign of pom-poms girls. What actually happened? And finally, at the 35km (or 37km) mark, I saw the first group of pom-poms girls cheering runners. I was elated to see them and raised my right hand to greet them with high-fives. Immediately, I was charged up and my footsteps were lively. Looks like I required outside help to run a marathon, which is not allowed.

If I could remember correctly, there were only three cheering teams. The last group was most unusual. One girl was seen standing on the shoulder of her group members and I overheard while running pass: how to come down ah?

Occasionally, there would be one or two persons cheering. I always acknowledge them and thank them. It was like dealing with intrinsic or scarce commodity.

Mat Salleh Runners

This marathon attracted quite a number of mat sallehs (foreigners; particularly whites). Most of them are good runners. Throughout the entire course, I saw a few unique incidents: At the early stage of the course where we met runners at the opposite side of the road, this guy must be famous as quite a number of his friends shouting happily acknowledging him.

Somewhere at around 30km mark, I saw a lady runner carry a special backpack filled with water with a rubber host sling over her shoulder and connected to her mouth. She was seen completely drenched with sweat dripping down her body.

Another lady was running with heavy breathing clearly audible few feet away.

The most unusual sight was a guy running a few feet in front of me. Suddenly, he just threw the unfinished bottle of water on the grass and detour to a tree. When I glanced sideway, he was already urinating with full throttle ahead at a tree as target with back facing us in bright day light and in full view of everyone. That was instant startup not affected by surrounding factors.

A lady runner was seen chatting with another guy at 33km mark for almost 5km. That was incredible and I admired her ability. As for me, I was running in silence conserving my energy necessary to lift my foot and step forward.

Another guy was fainted on the grass around 39km mark. I saw two runners went to his help. Since I was rushing for time, I proceeded with my run and I wished him everything fine.

Water Stations

There were ample water stations. Most stations only served plain water though the umbrella clearly said 100 Plus. Before I decided to take plain water, I would extend my gaze to check whether 100 Plus drinks were served.

The organizer was very generous with the plain water: they served in 500ml bottles. A lot was gone to waste as runners just took a few sips and then threw the bottles. At one water station, the road was complete wet as though it was after heavy raining.

At that instant, it reminded me of a joke after SIM 2004 that the bottled water supplied by water station, could they come from Newater (drinking water recycled from sewage water by Singapore).

Many runners were inconsiderate. They just threw the bottles on the road instead of at the side of road. One runner behind me was seen kicking the bottles onto the road itself. This is “kurang ajar” (lack of good teaching). Imagine a runner would step on it and trip and worst still, been stepped on by other runners.

As for 100 Plus, only served at limited stations. The good thing was that the 100 Plus was served without carbonated type. The first few sips was most enjoyable and I could taste that it was slightly sweater and smoother than those bottled or canned type.

Kenyan Runners

I saw a pack of more than 20 Kenyan runners running very fast after the U-turn heading in the opposite direction. All runners were cheering them and gave them rousing support. It was amazing to see that they ran a marathon as in 10km pace.

The siren from the Police motorbike jolted me from dreaming in my run. The runners were asked to run on the right side of the road. Through experience, we know that super fast runners were running from behind. I saw a short Kenyan guy wearing sunglasses running with another taller guy; both were running side-by-side, very consistent in pace. Don't tell me that the Singapore morning sun was more glaring than in Africa continent? After the race, my running friends told me that the one in sunglasses was actually blind!


Pee Stop

I was looking for a place to pee before the sky was bright. Knowing that thousands of eyes would be looking at me, it was not easy to do the job swiftly. So I was observing the course for a more secluded and comfortable location.

Then there was an adjacent road which was quite dark and secluded. I saw a few runners quickly made a detour and I followed suit too. Most guy runners would prefer to give the plants some exotic showers for much need nourishment than waiting in line for mobile toilet wasting valuable time.

10km Racers

The route took us back to Shenton Way – a very wide road near the Esplanade. It was at that moment, I saw huge crowd of 10km racers – gals and guys; young and old; short and tall. Seeing them in white T-shirt running 10km race, it reminded me that more than 5 years ago, I was also like one of them.

On that day, I was promoted to run a full marathon race. The difference lied with encouragements and motivation from other running friends – dare to take challenge.

Whom I Saw

While running the entire course, I only met the following Pacesetters runners: Crystal of Pacesetters Club Kuantan Area Group; Mr. Tai from Bukit Aman Area Group.

I saw two running group set up their bases by the route to supply their members with drinks. What a thoughtful gesture though there were lots of water stations around.

At the park, I was looking at the opposite runners in no particular focus until someone called me “P1”. At that very moment, I was blurred. A split second later, then only I realized that he was calling me “Penguin-1”. But I could not recognize the runner.

When I turned my focus to my right about 30 feet ahead, I saw two SAFRA (running club from Singapore) lady runners in the bright green running vest. When we locked our gaze with a little smile, it turned out to be the girl that I saw in Malacca marathon on 17 July 05 who looked like Hong Kong singer – Sammy Cheng.

This year, I did not see any fancy-dressed runner running with big make-shift object. Last year, there was a guy running that way and I heard it took him way beyond six hours to reach finishing line.


At the Finishing Area

As usual, the finishing area was full of activities: runners returning, official camera men busy clicking away; security officers jealously shooing by-slanders to stay clear of the finishing line; runners talking to one another excitedly about their experience; medical teams busy giving first-aid treatment; runners just lied on the ground to relax their exhausted or cramped muscles; support stuff moving around to serve cold 100 Plus to runners.

In the big Athlete Welfare Tent, many runners just sit there quietly relaxing while some busy talking; some engaged in collecting the finisher medal and then collecting their finisher T-shirts. Wend and I were busy taking photos.


Since that was a world-class event, I saw they have at least four DJs doing the job concurrently. One DJ of dark complexion was seen walking around on the course itself cheering and announcing the runners crossing the finishing line. The DJs there were full of dynamism and enthusiasm – a task expected from them, and they live up to their names.

When I came back, I saw Eric Teo was sitting and resting. His timing was the fastest among friends that I know – 3 hours 53 minutes.

I later saw Chantelle, who finished 5 hours 29 minutes. I was so glad to she her completed her maiden marathon. Congratulation and well done!

I later heard that Tony’s timing was 5 hours 59 minutes. Chiam’s was 6 hours 30 minutes.

One very unusual sight was the location of the mobile toilets. They were neatly arranged just opposite the grand stand. However, they were cleverly hidden by rows of cheering crowds.

Pom-poms girls were very friendly and sporting: I was roaming in the field with camera in hand. I approached them and asked for photo shots and they responded positively and posed with enthusiasm.

At 1.30pm, I finally saw Marvin coming back; he was with Jimmy Thong. The first message from Marvin was that: “No more marathons”. That sounded familiar. Many first timers, after going through the punishing journey, would swear never to do another one. But weeks or months later, they would run the next marathon challenge and declared that anything fall short of 42 km would be unchallenging. Vivien commented: running a marathon was like giving birth – interesting analogy.

Conclusion

The race organization was superb starting from online registration and payment; notification of progress and happenings way before the event; collection of race entry packs; designing the scenic and beautiful course; handling of race facilities such as mobile toilets and water stations; devising motivational quotes with wonderful message; involvement of volunteers; lifting up moods of runners by DJs, etc. – the concerted efforts that made it happen.

Without doubt, the Singapore International Marathon is a world-class event. They live it up to the name. If you have run once, you will keep coming back for more.

We shall meet again on 3 December 2006, same place. Will ya?

By KC







2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi KC,

I like the quotes too as they give me a constant inspiration.

Great write up!

kops21 said...

Good Run KC, didnt know your itiniery or else could have meet up.

See you in KL(March).