Wednesday, December 14, 2005

Singapore Marathon - More Short Reports


From Chee Wee:

My form was not ready to conquer the SIM on last Sunday morning. I started to develop sign of cramps at my stomach and later the side of quadriceps on both legs immediately after 15km. That forced me to slow down. There is no short-cut for a full marathon challenge if you aimed to have a good timing in the race; one must well prepare for the challenge.


From Chooi Lin:
I tripped & fell at about 30km mark, bruising my palms & knees. I was helped up by two concerned S'porean runners. I continued my run, slightly shaken but thankfully no injuries. I located one Red Cross tent about 1km away and they tended to my bloody palms & bandaged my knees (spent about 10 minutes). Although the weather was hot, I managed to finish the race with timing of 5:17:07, an improvement compared to last year's timing of 5:41(my first). There are no juicy oranges for us at the end of the racethough.

From Lim FW:
I went there to 'go below' 4 hours but I did not achieve that. Everything went well until about the 35km mark. My legs were heavy ... swollen to be exact after that point. That is something I had not experienced before. The first thing that came to mind was why in the world did I travel more that 400km look like a mess?

With every cheering from all those wonderful people that lined the street (thank you) I ran for very short distances. I got bananas, oranges, water in recycled bottles, many words of encouragements, stares, smiles, waves, claps all the way back. (thanks again). That continued until the finish line and my race ended at 4 hour 8 minutes plus. It was good. See U next year.

From Jenny Lee:
I did it ... there were so many skeptic thoughts in me before I start. Can I do it? Will I be able to sustain in the hot weather? How hot will it be?
Well, I did it in 5:44 hr chip time or 5:47 gun time. Although this is the worst result out of 4 marathons, my greatest achievement - I got the Finisher T-shirt at last!Hope to try for better timing next year!

From Chantelle:
I felt good on the race day. Tony, my trainer, accompanied me for the first 20km with constant support and pacing. At the first 5km, he even helped to carry a water bottle in case the water station ran out of supply. I told him that it was not necessary as I observed that the event was well organized; running out of water supply was most unlikely.


After 20km run, I could not trace Tony anymore. I found out from him after the race thathe got to tie up his shoe lace and could not paced with me with blisters on his foot.I finished the rest of the journey alone. Seemed like I was able to find the window to the wall – there was no hitting the wall beyond 30km mark. Maybe I was running the race slightly relax manner.

After 35km mark, I slowed down a bit due to tightness on my legs and minor blister on my toes. Besides, I have already missed sub-5 hours timing. I was most glad if I could meet 5:30 hour’s target.

At 40km mark, I decided to push harder and ran slightly faster for the final kilometers. Finally, I finished in 5:29:17. According to the official chip time published in the Internet, my timing was 5:27:10.

I was most pleased as it met my target of 5:30 hr. Yes, I successfully complete my maiden full marathon without much difficulty. Running a full marathon really requires considerable amount of commitment; constant training and rest; couple with good diet and strong mental power.

My next plan will be training for Kuala Lumpur International Marathon – aiming for sub-5 hours.

No comments: