Wednesday, December 28, 2005

A Glimpse of Photography

Stockie and Lye Hock are friends whom we share common interest in camera. I can not, at this moment, say "share common interest in photography" as I am not up to the standard yet. My skill is only up to point-and-shoot type covering running events. Let me show you what serious photography means.

Stockie's Photography Works
x
x
Please click here to go to Stockie's weblog.
x
It is ironic that the photos taken by Stockie (a nickname) were of razor-sharp, vivid and vibrant in colour even though the subject was in a distance. But the profile photo on him is blurred. I was trying very hard to see whether we can recognize him from that blur photo. Was he holding a handphone?

I guess his friend who took his photo could be an apprentice. Similarly, when guys go to the barber shop for haircut, if they are two barbers in the shop – one with neat and nice haircut, and the other one is of lousy haircut – who would you chose? Answer: select the barber with the lousy haircut as the master is not easily visible.

When I first received an email reply from Stockie, adding on to the confusion of this subject matter was the following line of technical specification:

Nikon D50 AF-S DX 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G ED, AF 50mm f/1.8D, Sigma 70-300mm F4-5.6 APO DG Macro, Sigma MACRO 105mm F2.8 EX DG, SB600.

Looks like I need to spend time to decipher what these means. Apparently, every letter has its special meaning and also means much superior – come with higher capital outlay – than another one. For example: AF, S, DX, G, ED where AF stands for Auto Focus, etc. On initial reading of the camera manual, Nikon would publish that certain letter (or the absence of it) is compatible (or not compatible) with certain type of camera bodies. Hmm… not that simple after all.


Lye Hock's Photography Works


x
Please click here to go to Lye Hock's weblog.
x
His profile photo is even much more stylish -- we can only see his shadow.
x
Under the Moonlight

After I have bought my Yashica SLR camera long time ago, I went back hometown one day to see that there was one type of flower planted by my parents started to blossom at midnight. The flower is white and the name is sounded like “kheng” flower. According to what I heard, when it blossoms, it would bring good luck to the family.

On that night, it was a coincidence that the full month was high up in the sky. By the light of the full moon, I could see the flowers in a silvery varnish. It was a rare moment of serenity and I found myself mesmerized by the full moon illuminating the flowers. So I took out my camera, lay flat on the ground below the flower with the moon as backdrop and started clicking away. I remembered too that one of my neighbours who was attracted by the camera flashes igniting the neighbourhood, was showing concern of my weird action.


By KC

4 comments:

C-CUBE said...

KC, these are real cool pics. Us eto be an avvid photograher when I am younger. Own a SLR (analog) long, long ago time. Maybe its time to get back into this expensive hobby again w all the high tech stuff. Cheers.....Choi

Lye Hock said...

KC - thanks for the kind comments!

Anonymous said...

Hi guys,
You are most welcome.

Soon, Choi would be happily announcing his purchase.

regards,
KC :-))

C-CUBE said...

KC, So wats the damage like to ur pocket for the Nikon D50 that u now own. Just to give me a persepctive of wat the investment will be for a starter into digital SLR.