Monday, December 26, 2005

Powered By Nikon D50

I was most satisfied using the Nikon D50 digital-SLR camera at Mizuno Wave run on 18 December 2005. The camera was responsive; shutter-release button was smooth and the shutter-release sound was so soothing that I wanted to press for more. It was really “syok” (fun and exciting) to use.

I bought it on Saturday 17 Dec 2005 from Foto Shangri-La at Lot 10 Shopping Complex. Nikon Malaysia actually sent a team of sales persons to assist in managing the road-show. I was attended by Josephine and she asked me for NRID in the purchase due to standard procedures. Leaving Lot 10 excitedly, I was carrying three big paper bags bearing Nikon name containing camera body, kit lens, flash unit, camera bag, knap sag, pouch bag, etc, and other free gifts.


I only started reading the camera manual almost at mid-night to understand the functions and features. Due to lack of time, I decided to set everything to “Auto” mode for a quick familiarization the next morning. I was a little excited and I woke up before the alarm clock went off on Sunday morning.

On race day, I completed my run after 50 minutes. Immediately, I took out the new camera. The feeling of holding it was fantastic – it automatically upgraded me to a level higher than the compact camera series. I was the photographer in disguise but easily recognizable: donning running vest and shorts with wet and muddy running shoes after running across the pitch to the finishing line.

Almost all the initial photo shots on runners in running action were blurred because my hands were shaking: firstly, it was after the run and secondly, I was nervous as I have not been shooting in SLR camera for a long, long time.

With the wider angle, taking group photos has more rooms and easy. With the long-range lens, I could freeze runners in action further away. So, next time, remember to put on your best smile – as though it is a free and easy run – for photo shots while you cross the finishing line.

I have considered buying a SLR camera for a few months since Nikon D50 was launched. I was contemplating how to hide and carry the huge SLR camera in my pocket as of the convenience of digital compact camera.

Freeze the Actions

I tried very hard to capture runners in action using the compact camera but the results were unsatisfactory. My first funny encounter of action photo shots was taking those racers at Malakoff Duathlon in March 2005. When the cyclist was framed in the middle of LCD monitor display, I pressed the shutter-release button. But during playback viewing, the cyclist was not captured due to slow shutter speed of compact camera.

After seeing Jason Lee’s Nikon D70 (bigger brother of D50) results with stunning clarity from the Nikon telephoto lens, I decided to buy one. I, too, like photography. I remember after started working in my twenties, I bought one Yashica SLR camera; that time I did not have much money owning a Nikon brand.


Back then, I was using a partial auto camera. First, I have to decide whether to set the aperture or shutter-speed priority. Viewing through the viewfinder would give the other clue and then set accordingly. Focusing was done manually by turning the focusing ring of lens; taking each shot seemed slow and tedious.

Photos that you see in the weblog are down-sized and set to Medium resolution quality for fast transmission over internet. Each photo is down-sized from 2,000 KB to about 40 KB only. They all suffered the lack of clarity and vibrant colours as compared to original.

Buying SLR camera is the beginning of spending lots of money. On Sunday at the Mizuno run, I have a chat with Chan Wing Kai, Pacesetters Club photographer. He proudly showed me a jewel in his camera bag – a renowned Nikon VR (vibration reduction) lens of almost six inches long costing more than RM 5,000 !

Other than taking runners and bikers in action, I would have to try my hands on birds (those that fly, of course) to improve my photography skills. Just in case I am engaging in “flower or bird” priority mode, just shout out loud when you run pass for me to switch back to “runner” priority mode.

Please click here to view photos takin by Nikon D50 for the Mizuno Run.

By KCxxx :-))
.

3 comments:

RunWitMe said...

Hi! My Nikon Coolpix idiot proof camera is pale compared to your new toy. Hope to see more beautiful shots of many running events from you.

Cheers!

John said...

Wahlau! Betul-betul Lau Nua non-stop.

Anonymous said...

Thanks guys.
I will try it out again this Sunday morning during the Pacemakers focus group running at Lake Garden.

KC :-)