Monday, December 12, 2005

More Reports on Singapore Marathon

Note by KC: Chee Wee’s long report on Chin Woo Biathlon will be posted on Tuesday evening. Meantime, let me switch back to Singapore Marathon. Below is an account by Eric Teo, a fast Penguin-10. His timing was most impressive: 3 hours 53 minutes. Read on …
.
By Eric Teo
.
"Oh my god! I heard 3,2,1....then gun off, and the 42.195km run had started!" I have just finished my last minute toilet pee at a secluded corner below the bridge and the race was on! I managed to "potong sayur" and jumped into the sub-3 (meaning completion of a marathon race below 3 hours) race pen leaving Chee Wee and other running friends behind as they were in sub-4 race pen. Very sorry guys, I did it not on purpose.
x
It was good to be in the sub-3 race pen as runners would cross the starting mat first while the rest of the runners behind were still inching their way forward. It was indeed spacious and have plenty of rooms to run at your warming up pace instead of jamming side by side together like "sardine fish"! Nevertheless, with the Champion chip device, activation of each runner’s start time was when one crossed the starting computer mat.
x
I managed to keep my running pace of 5min/km for the 12km (in first hour), 22km(in second hour), 32km(in third hour) before I finally give in where my body told me to walk through the whole stretch of drinking station (about 50meter) when I started to pick my drink.
x
Most of the drinking station of 2km apart was my "shower station" too due to the extreme heat in my body. I would pour the unfinished water over my head to cool me down. Only the 6km 100PLUS drinking station was actually my "refuel station".
.
There was one particular 100PLUS station where I did not see any 100PLUS cup served, so I just drank almost half bottle of plain water before one drink station attendant shouted out at the other end that there was actually a 100PLUS drink served but in mineral bottle!

In order to avoid the cramps set in later part of the run, I just sacrifice my already half "blotted" stomach to be topped up with another bottle of 100PLUS! Now, I really had to run like a Santa Claus (with big belly). I could still hear the water running up & down in my stomach. :-)
x
My last 8km was really torturing and boring besides having tired legs. With the run/walk technique and I looked down on the ground every six feet to distract me from the "never ending" finishing line. I managed to complete the "HEATY Marathon" in 3:53:14 (3:52:39 net).
x
I was most happy that my sub-4 achievement was recorded with the official timing device. My previous sub-4 timing was done in Songkla Marathon in August but without any official timing device. In this case, there was digital evidence.

I would have run non stop (like in KL & Songkla marathons) if I had done enough mileage training to "season" my legs into running long hours. Strong mental too is important to overcome the obstacle.
.
To fellow runners who are thinking of doing their maiden marathons: running a marathon is tough but manageable. It is important to build up stronger legs slowly & patiently over a number of months. Do a few half marathon (21.1km) runs & races comfortably before slowly increase to 30km & 35km & then be mentally strong to try out the 42.195km run!
.
My next running target: to reduce the number of races & only participate in those local 10km or 21.1km run (which I had missed out a medal during this year run), to do 3 or 4 Full Marathon in a year in nearby country (like Thailand) & will be out to try my hand & legs on Powerman event (run-cycle-run) & Triathlon event (swim-cycle-run).
.
Cheers,
Eric Teo
x

No comments: