Thursday, December 22, 2005

Festive Seasons and Holidays

Dong Zhi

According to Chinese tradition, today (22 December) is Dong Zhi (Winter Solstice) festival. When I was a teenager, my mother would make the colourful marble-size tang yuen (glutinous rice ball). I would then volunteer to help her to roll the dough into round balls. She would say, “Son, after this Dong Zhi, you will be one year older and one year wiser.” After eating thousands of tang yuen, one thing is for sure: it adds up to my age but I am not sure whether it adds up to my wisdom.

Above is a photo taken from Chee Wee’s internet email. He sent us one virtual tong yuen feast this morning.

Year-end Festive Season

2005 will soon draw to a close and it has been an eventful year for me. Other than the usual running, this is my maiden year taking part in Duathlon races – it was love at first sight. In August, after months of trekking, we scaled the summit of Mount Kinabalu with Tony as the Team Leader.

This year-end festive holidays will allow us some rest and an opportunity for reflection on our achievements. Briefly, here are my major events:

March = Kuala Lumpur International Marathon; cheering and then bought a road racing bicycle.
May = Duathlon at Lumut; Trekking at Gunung Dato; Nike-Pacesetters 15km race.
June = Trekking at Gunung Irau, Cameron Highland.
July = Seremban Half marathon; Malaka Half marathon; Duathlon at Johor Baru
August = Trekking up Mount Kinabalu
September = Putrajaya Half marathon; PJ Half marathon, Putrajaya Powerman.
October and November = 20km and 30km training runs for Singapore marathon
December = Singapore International marathon.

Going forward, let us renew our commitment, whether in running or in our career to strive harder. The challenges that abound in the coming year will require all of us to train harder and run faster. It comes a long way where I evolve from a 10km runner to a full marathon runner.

Thank you to all my running friends for being with me and I treasure the camaraderie and good times together.

To my friends and readers who are celebrating Christmas, may I wish you Merry Christmas, and a Happy New Year to all. As you travel with your loved ones for the holidays, drive safely.

Best Regards,
KC

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi KC,

Happy Holidays...