Tuesday, December 13, 2005

My Chin Woo Biathlon Experience

Written by Chee Wee

The much awaited Chin Woo Biathlon 2005 was held on Sunday, 11 December 2005. The race format is a 800 meters swim followed by a 7km road race. I realized that there wasn't much publicity done for this race compared to others races. I actually heard about this relative well known race among the local triathletes.

Terence was the one who recommended this new & exciting race to me. I considered this race as a new adventure for me. We did a minimal training to prepare for this race. We only went to Chin Woo's swimming pool twice for our swimming training before the Singapore full marathon on 4 Dec. With Terence's guidance, I learned & picked up some tips on how to race in the Biathlon.

When I told my loved one that I will be taking part in a Biathlon race on 11 December, she looked at me right into my eyes & felt strangely that she has never heard about my ability in swimming & seen my swimming style. She is fully aware that I can run, but not sure how far I can swim. This was my maiden Biathlon challenge; I knew that I must overcome my fear in the swimming segment.


I told Eric about my fear on Saturday evening & I was glad that I spoke to him as I was feeling much better after our telephone conversation. He advised me that to swim with a relax mind & don't try to chase after those fast swimmers as it could affect the focus & create a panicky situation & the most important part is to stay clam in the pool.

On Sunday morning, 11 Dec 2005

At the starting venue, I parked my car right up to the top, at the Chin Woo's entrance. Certainly, I could feel the tension because everybody seemed to be ready for the race. I reported myself at the race registration booth. I collected the bid number for the running 7km road race & received the nice event t-shirt.

At the booth, the lady official asked me to roll up the right & left sleeves of my shirt so that she could scribble my bib number on both of my arms. Being a first timer, I obediently rolled up the sleeves & stood there when the bid number was being engraved on my arms. A strange feeling when the ink printed on my arms...

There is an old saying that when meeting up with those good friends, your feeling could be more calm & peaceful. It worked for me. I felt less tension when I met up with Alden, Raymond (Alden's friend), Eric, Francis, Tan Wah Sing, KC, Jason Lee (Thank you KC & Jason who came here not just being the camera men but also gave us the strong model support) & many more familiar Pacesetters' members. Maybe because I was talking to them on other interesting topics; hence, I was no longer paying attention to the race anymore.

I met the main facilitator Don Khor; he asked if this was my first biathlon race & I responded with a nod of my head.

At this time, I was still playing with my mind (mind over matter), try to overcome my fear, by constantly telling myself - don't worry about the lane...deep or shallow....I will survive...I will survive.


SWIMMING SEGMENT

Despite my mental readiness, of course I still felt nervous standing at the starting block for swimming. It really took me a lot of courage to be able stand there as the thought of completing 800 meters swim was quite a distance to conquer. Before coming here, I reminded myself on my hidden agenda that I must continue my swimming without any need to have a rest stop, to achieve a non-stop 800 meters swim which I have never done it before.


Before the starting time, Alden called me over to the end of swimming pool, to do some warm up which could help to boost up my confidence for the swimming challenge this morning. I relaxed further when I was warming up my body in the pool with Alden & Raymond. Indeed, it was really help me to refocus my attention on my fear while chit-chatting with them in the pool; feeling great & strong that I will make it for the race.


Upon calling all the swimmers to get ready, Don Khor told me that I was allotted to a lane at the deep end of the pool. When I heard it, I told myself don't panic. Being a new boy at the block, I guessed that I have a privilege to have the special request. Furthermore, I didn't want to take any risk. Then, Don Khor came over to reassign me to swim at the swallow "lane" (app. 6 feet deep) which wasn't marked by any floating objects. KC called it an "open sea" area where I was sharing with a lady swimmer at my left & Terence (who arrived late & missed his category's starting) at my right. All set to go; as I jumped into the pool, I could barely touch the bottom!! So that means I could not stop half way for a rest or have a standing rest.

I heard a count down to a loud "START". I didn't freeze but swam to my best to cross the pool to the other end. In actual, the rest of the swimmers were moving so fast that I could see their movements when I turned my head up for a breath. There was no time for me to think but just get out there and start paddling. I did a decent free style from one end to another end, then kicked on the wall, to have strong bounce back, then I did the same for opposite direction. I had to do this for 16 laps.


The first 3 laps already had me a bit of huffing and puffing. Furthermore, I had to make two times quick adjustments on my new goggles which I just bought it on last Saturday night (a night before the race day).


After a few more laps, I totally lost the counting on the number of lap I did. It was very hard to keep track the counting! I was too damn focus on my arms movements & breathing; my arms felt heavy and my legs were dragging. But, my stamina was there to help me keep going & paddling. I also felt strongly with KC & Jason Lee supports at the pool side making me more stronger & faster, wanted to finish this damned swim within a fast pace. Needless to say that I began to enjoy my swim. I didn't know how long I swam but all the sudden I was given a victorious hand-sign from the male official who was recording the finishing time & lap for me. Two more laps to go...

All right! Two more laps to go; I was so happy & told myself that I will be "home free" soon. At the last lap. I went all out for the last lap - look good and be strong. But as I got out of the pool with my own style, my legs were so rubbery. KC told me that my legs were trembling. I felt lightly that my head was spinning but I just ignored them totally & eagerly shot off for the 7km road race. I think I was the last three at the pool. The others swimmers have gone & disappeared. I didn't care much; it did bother me as I just wanted to complete this damned race.

In my heart, I gave myself a good high five...Yeah! I was so worried about the swimming and was so relieved that I made it! Luckily, no drowning...hahaha!


I put on my running vest first then my running shoes. I didn't realize that I was wearing the wrong side of the vest until I ran up to the stairs. Boy! I was having a wrestling match with my running vest. The back portion of my running vest was rolled up and it just so hard to come down. This was probably due to my wet body or panicky feeling. Finally, I managed to put on my running shoes & I was ready to take off running down the streets.

RUNNING SEGMENT

There was a check point before reaching the water station where I would collect a total of three color ribbons and drank water. There was good traffic control and some Chin Woo members were cheering nearby the water station. I had to run three laps - running around the Stadium Negara, Stadium Merdeka, heading out to Jalan Maharajalela & back to Jalan Stadium. Certain stretches are quit hilly, but it is not that bad running route.


After the completion of 1st lap, I was feeling much better & gaining back my running momentum. Indeed, I felt strong & satisfaction with each foot strike forward. I overtook few slow runners & ran with a negative split result for this short distance race. I really wish that I can do the same for my full marathon run.


At the time, the sun was up in the sky & the weather was getting warm.Finally, after my last lap & having a quick drink at the water station, I was running with the steady condition towards the steep slope with the finishing line on top. But I felt strong to across the finish line & break the finishing tape with my own style. I could see KC & Jason at the top & gave my thumb up after my final push towards the finishing line. They were so kind & supportive to wait for me to come back & took those memorable photos. Thank you KC & Jason. With your presence, my race turned out to be a truly enjoyable & memorable movement.


I received a unique finisher medal from the race organizer that engraved Biathlon Finisher & with the Chin Woo's Chinese wordings. I looked at the fine Chinese wordings. It really made me think off the great martial art Master Bruce Lee (wooooo...with a swinging hand, toughing the nose & slowing jumping around a circle...). If you still remembered that movie's title name - "Chin Woo Mun" & the main actor - great Bruce Lee, you can visualize his unique move & style.


I didn't stay on for the light breakfast which was provided by the race organizer. I had to leave immediately for my hometown. My wife & son were waiting for me at home for going back hometown for the afternoon family gathering. I greeted Francis, Tan Wah Sing, Eric, Alden, Raymond, Don Khor & Others good bye & hope to see you guys again in next year's Chin Woo Biathlon race. On the way to the parking lot, Eric told me that I will become stronger after this race. Thank you Eric for the great advises & accompany.

KC, Jason & I left the place at the same time.


Breaking News

After my quick shower at home, I received a following SMS from my buddy Alden: "Raymond's position is 4th & myself is 5th; both of us are recording a same finishing time, 49 minutes. Your position is 15th & finishing time is 1 hour 6 minutes. Swimming time 28 minutes 32 Seconds. Not bad for a 1st timer! Congrats!". Surprisingly, I completed the race with such a timing. As a matter of fact, I didn't have much expectation for this race.

Yeah! thank you Alden who gave me the "live telecast" at that afternoon as he knew I wasn't there to wait for the official results.
.
Cheers,
Chee Wee

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Chee Wee,

Congratulations on your superb performance.

Keep it up man !!!

Penguin 2