Sunday, June 15, 2008

Good to be Back at Bukit Aman

“Sunshine on my shoulders makes me happy…
Sunshine in my eyes can make me cry…
Sunshine on the water looks so lovely…
Sunshine almost always makes me high…

On my way to Bukit Aman car park at 5:45 a.m., I was pleasantly excited to hear one of my favourite songs (though it is a slow and sentimental one) by the late John Denver over the airwave from Light FM.

When the song was about to finish, I was driving along Jalan Parliament where I saw thousands of small, blue light bulbs hanging across the road together with other decorative lightings. It was quite a calm and beautiful sight. Approaching the familiar Bukit Aman car park, the entire area is still brightly lit in white light with the tastefully design street lamps.

Resume Running

Yes, I resumed my run this morning, Sunday 15 June after a long absence. The song did reaffirm that it was a good day and a good start.

After the ABC treks in May 2008, my next planned trekking in Nepal is October 2009 (next year) targeting at Everest Base Camp (5,500 m). Since my heel injury has completely healed, it is time to resume running again interwoven with trekking. In this case, most Sunday mornings will be spent meeting and chatting with other runners.

Before the Run
There was no preparation. Last time, I would have charted plans and before the Sunday morning run, I would have confirmed via emails who are the runners that would come.

This time, I did not call anyone, not even the pacesetters runners who were having dinner together the evening before for the post-celebration of successfully completed trekking at Annapurna Base Camp. Nevertheless, the only person I contacted was Ang Chee Kiang of Permaisury Group.

When I alighted from my car at Bukit Aman car park at 6am, it was nice to hear a few runners were saying, “Hey, have not seen you for a long time!”

I was surprised to see PK Chan again, who was seated next to me in the dinner the previous evening.
.

Yours truly running with the Adidas new shoes

The Run
I ran with PK Chan, Sarjit Singh, AngCK, Nancy and the Permaisuri group. The training run on Sunday morning is not just about running; it is also about getting to know other fellow runners.

We met and chatted with Hoo Ching Tai while running. He just ran the ultra-marathon (84km) two weeks ago in Sundown Marathon, Singapore. We joked that the minimum training distance for an ultra-marathon runner is at least a half marathon.

En route to Sri Hartama (for 20km run), we took the left turn to the Double Hill route (10km). Yes, I was running only 10km.

I was wearing the Adidas Response CSH 16. I like this pair of shoes as it is light, flexible, very quiet and with good cushioning. My previous Adidas running shoes were the Supernova that supported me for five marathons. click here.
.

File photo - bustling with activities at Bukit Aman car park

After the run

There were two booths been set up at Bukit Aman car park: one was set up by VP of PACM, Francis Toh, for promoting runs and Club merchandise. Another one was set up by Mr. Krishnan, Adidas Head of Running in Malaysia. He was promoting the Adidas King of the Road run on 10 August.
.
File photo - John Tan with his new road racing bike

I saw John Tan who was walking around the Bukit Aman car park with a golf club. With the numerous breaks in of cars when runners went for the run, it was good to see that John volunteered his time to ensure the safety of other fellow runners’ cars.

Geraldine was wearing an acid-green running shorts. We joked that the shorts could be illuminated in darkness. And in darkness, we could only see the shorts that are moving.

The other runners that I met and chatted were Daniel, Fikri, Lim, Thai and wife, Jessica, Michelle, Chooi Wan, Chan Wing Kai, Vivian Law, ChinYH, Linda Trivino, Sharon Cheah, PK, Tammy and group, etc. I chatted with the Pacesetters Club Exco: Rustam, Francis Toh, Michael Gan, Jega, Alan Ho, Sook Ying. As you can see, I chatted more than I ran.

The chat with Rustam, Pacesetters Club President, was serious as we were discussing how to improve on the PACM website. Please click here to take a look at the revised structure. If you have comments, do send to me.

Madeline and her sister – Madeline asked me whether I could still remember them. After giving me a bit of the hint, I remembered that they came one day at 5 a.m. in a brand new Honda City only to run 10km, which I commented that it was too early to start.
.

With matching colour cycling shoes

Admiring the new bike (the front wheel was detached earlier)

Written by KC

1 comment:

John said...

Welcome back into running.

Wow! My bike in the limelight! TQ.