Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Reflections of the Sundown Marathon

Compiled by Running Wombat

Below are extracts of a maiden marathoner, a seasoned marathoner and a marathoner cum ultramathoner of the race that took place in Singapore on 31 May starting at 8.30 pm for the ultramarathoner and 12 midnight for the full marathoner. The full marathon runners would run 1 loop of the course (42km) whilst the ultramarathoners would complete 2 loops of the course (84km).
.

Christina the Maiden Marathoner

“Indeed running a marathon is an experience of a lifetime! Training for one takes much will-power and grit. The lack of logical thinking and rationale helps! Especially when one choses to run her first marathon all night and on a difficult route. Many thanks to my friends and family for their support. And my marathon buddy for her unceasing encouragement and tips, not to mention her weathering heavy rains to capture my triumphant final 100m to the finish line!

I was all excited right up to the start of the race, well actually, until the 28km when the signs of cramping reared its ugly head. After that, it was a combination of will-power and constant walk-breaks and massage to finish. The last hour was miserable - squelching in the rain! 600m from the finish line, I flew off the wet pavement and sprawled on the road. It was sunrise when I crossed the finish line! Some runners insisted the route was 45km.
.

Christina

Surprisingly, I did not feel the lack of sleep or the fatigue (was I overdosed on Powergel??). The post-race aches began on the bus ride from the race. Would I do it again? YEEESSSS!!”

Sonny the Seasoned Marathoner

“The terrains along the Sundown Marathon Route was not my idea of a good Marathon Route. Runners had to run/walk across a Pedestrian Overhead Bridge, run across narrow Canals/Longkangs Pedestrian Bridges, along some dark alleys, (Auntie Teresa stumpled and was assisted by fellow runners before she fell flat on her face), on sandy patches, passed BBQ Pits which were emitting pillow of smokes and stenched with the sizzling meats, directed by Road Marshall to run on concrete/Monier bricks Pedestrian Walkways (runners were not allowed to run on roads except when crossing them), Traffic Police stopping Runners to give the right of way to Motorists, coming into the Finish line, runners again had to run across a narrow "hump" bridge, insufficient Distance Markers along the Route. I am sure the Route of this Sundown Marathon will not be sanctioned by the International Marathon Federation (IMF) Body.
.
Sonny Ng

An Ultra Runner Kenny Choe (Pacesetters) completed his run in a time of 10 hours 59 mins. and needed a massage for his sore body; the Massage Tent was already closed. Kenny was also given the wrong Finisher Pack upon completion. His pack had a 42.195km Finisher T-shirt and without the Ultra Finisher Towel (large). However, the Organiser had been contacted and agreed for a change.


Ching Tai the Ultramarathoner

“I had prepared hard for SunDown ultramarathon, I had trained for 65km and 50km in 2 weeks. However, I injured my knee during my 2nd week of training in 50km run (3 weeks to Sun Down race) and this really worried me and I almost planned to forego this race. However, upon consultation with the Sports & Orthopedic Doctor who gave me the green light, I decided to continue with my training and preparations.
. Ching Tai

My initial plan was to aim for sub 11 hours to complete the race. But after getting my knee injury, I decided not to aim for anything but rather just to complete the race safely within the time limit.

This run was the toughest race I have ever faced (even tougher than Comrades Ultramarathon in South Africa which I participated a few years ago) The route was tough where we had to run through a staircase, residential areas and traffic lights.

The support provided was also poor, especially for the 2nd loop of ultra runner, the road traffic controller was no where to be seen, the water in the few stations were finished and the run officials had left leaving insufficient markers for directions which led to many runners running to wrong way!!!

At 35km of the race, my legs were so sore and almost going to cramp, it was only through my strong determination that I managed to last myself till 52km. After that, I walked the rest of the course to complete the race. My timing was around 13hours 25mins but nonetheless I am happy that I managed to complete it. I would like to salute for those runners who have completed this ultramarathon, it was indeed a very tough race.”

Compiled by Running Wombat
Posted by KC

No comments: