Thursday, February 21, 2008

Adidas Shoes Wear-test Programme - Part 2

adidas Response CSH 16
x
click here to read Part 1
x
Finally, after much thoughts, and with the re-affirmation (of resuming serious running) from my runner’s friend, I decided to take up the offer. It sounded funny that to take up an offer to test run a pair of running shoes required much consideration.

On the appointment day, I gave Mr. Krishnan a call – luckily that I called him. Otherwise, I would end up at the wrong Wisma Damansara along Jalan Semantan instead of Plaza Damansara. Mr. Krishnan was really patient in explaining to me the direction to the correct venue.

While waiting for Mr. Krishnan in the Main Office of adidas Malaysia, I have the opportunity to look around the office. The area is posh with many functional rooms. The main lobby area prominently displays sports eyewear and apparel. I see a few young athletes in jersey were at the lobby at that moment, a reminder that it is a place for actively supporting sporting activities.
x
The mock sole next to the acid-green ball is with adiPRENE impact-absorbing material infused with German technology

Mr. Krishnan brought in the mock shoes and skeletal. After a brief discussion, he then explained the various types of materials necessary in constructing high-tech running shoes.

Two ping-pong sized rubber balls caught my attention. Mr. Krishnan then asked me to throw the purple ball hard on the floor. I was gauging the clearance as to how high the ball would bounce back and make sure the bounce did not hit us. To my big surprise, the ball never bounced at all – it just landed and stayed on the floor.

Mr. Krishnan explained that this is the German technology in designing the material for providing the maximum cushion while absorbing the force of full impact from a runner when running.
x
Mr. Krishnan: Explaining what it takes for the foot to manoeuvre from landing to propulsion stage
x
I have been running for many years but I never pay attention as to the different materials in making a pair of running shoes. After that briefing, I then understood that there are a few types of materials mandatory to ensure the shoes in providing the necessary cushion, comfort and protection. It is good to share with the runners:

adiPRENE
Exclusive to adidas, adiPRENE® is an elastic and durable material which responds to the cushioning needs of a runner’s moving foot. adiPRENE® absorbs impact forces, providing superior cushioning and protection for the heel.

adiWEAR
An extremely durable and non-marking rubber (similar to car tyre) against high-abrasion contact with the road surface. It reduces wear in the heel landing area while providing the necessary traction and flexibility.

TORSION®
A shining plastic connecting the forefoot and rearfoot of the shoes. The torsion system stabilizes the foot, providing lightweight arch support while allowing flexibility of the shoes to move freely.
x
Yours truly showing the brand new, glitering shoes


With my big shoe size of US 11.5 (Yes! excellent stability in supporting my body), my choice is limited with the availability of shoes that fit me at that moment.

I am glad to receive one adidas Response CSH 16 that fit me perfectly. This classic that bears the number 16 is actually the 16th Edition while CSH stands for Cushion. I believe it comes a long way for a product to have attained 16 times of improvement, much like Version 16 for software.

With a pair of wear-test shoes, it is a good start to resume serious running again from my heel injury.

I would like to extend my grateful thanks to Mr. Krishnan and adidas Malaysia.

To be continued …

Written by KC

2 comments:

C-CUBE said...

Hope to see you in the running scene again, not taking pictures but actually running the race, hehe!!!

KC & the Sunshine Runners said...

hi C-Cube, Thanks for the well wishes... :-) KC