Sunday, November 20, 2005

A Quiet 20km Training Run - 20 November

Have you seen the moon surround by a ring of clouds in the sky? I woke up at 4am this morning. As usual, I would go to the front yard for light stretching exercise. At the same time, to find out how was the weather this morning as it had been raining the evening before.

I was delighted that it was fine weather with the absence of clouds. An unusual sight was that the almost full moon was surrounded by a perfect ring outlined by the faintly tinted white clouds. I was mesmerized by the sight as it must have been a long, long time that I last saw the similar view.

Most Unusual Muscle Cramp

Reaching Bukit Aman car park at 5.45am, I parked my car at the bay next to Weng. This morning, most of the Penguin and Sunshine Runners were not around as they went to Ipoh for the KRI 10km race.

When I bent down to put on my shoes, suddenly, I felt muscle cramped at the lower back. I was in pain and stuck at that posture for a few seconds. I later squatted down to straighten my lower back in order to avoid the pain. Oh my gosh, not when the Singapore marathon is only about two weeks from now. Nervously, I did a little light stretching exercise hopping the pain would be reduced.

Before I came, I planned to run at faster pace this morning for the 20km training run to test out my body condition before the real race. The pain would definitely spoil my plan.

There were less than 10 runners and a few reasons for the lesser turn-up. First there was the Ipoh KRI 10km race, then there was the Terry Fox Charity Run at the Lake Garden. I heard that there was a race at Klang too. Besides, it was after the Pacesetters Club organized 30km training run last Sunday where some runners might relax this week-end.

We started our run at 6am. There were only four in the pack: PhoonYH, AB Tan, Weng and I. I was struggling for the first 200 meters as there was slight pain when I ran; nevertheless, I just continued ignoring the pain.

AB Tan

I was chatting with Mr. AB Tan while running and his running experience was quite interesting to share with you. He was going to do a 30km run today despite that he had completed 40km last Sunday. So far, he has done only one marathon, i.e. the Kuala Lumpur Marathon in March 2005.

Before that, he was running only 5km on his own. The Shah Alam run in September last year was his first 10km race.

For the Kuala Lumpur Marathon, he suffered pain when reaching the 30km marker. Both his thigh muscles were cramped.

From running 5km distance, AB Tan was able to run a full marathon within very short time span. So, this time, he has put in extra effort for more long runs to let the body accustomed to longer distance.

Terry Fox Charity Run

I signaled to Weng to return via the same route we came from since there were not many runners around. Usually, we would turn into Laman Tunku and returned via Double-Hill route. At the downhill area after passing by the Belvedere Condominium, I was surprised to see Miss MC running with another friend toward Hartamas direction. She is the girl where we first met with Chantelle (Nike Woman) at the Ipoh KRI race last year. We exchanged conversation briefly. She commented, “You did not go to Ipoh for KRI run today?”

At around 8.00am, Weng and I returned at the entrance to Lake Garden. At that moment, I saw there were many participants for the Terry Fox Charity Run. For a mere 100 meters, I could see the most number of mat sallehs (foreigners). Most of them were women and children and they were walking and enjoying the Sunday morning stroll.

Returning to Bukit Aman car park, there were only pockets of Pacesetters runners visible to me. Compared to last Sunday’s event, it was a real contrast.

I met PK Chan who was distributing the Coach and Hotel Arrangement schedule for the Singapore marathon to every runner that returned to the car park.

“I thought you are supposed to go to Ipoh for the KRI run?” PK asked.
“No lah,” I answered. “I did not go.”
“I read in Sunshine Runners weblog that there is this Bak Kut Teh stall opens at 3:00 A.M.,” PK continued, “That was interesting.”

I managed to complete the 20km training run with back muscle pain. Let see how things would turn up. Would I be able to avoid this muscle cramp if I were to follow the other runners for the Ipoh KRI race? Or it could be worst.

By KC

4 comments:

John said...

Hopefully it's just a minor hiccup. If the pain is still there, take a complete rest for the next 2 days.

Keipo said...

Wah...KC..take care oh...!!

May be hv to see Dr ?

Anonymous said...

Hi John and Tey,

Thanks for the concern and advice. I went to see a doctor. Taking muscle relaxation medicine. Hope it recovers fast.

KC :-)

Anonymous said...

Take care, KC