Tuesday, November 29, 2005

All Set For Singapore Marathon (SIM)

All systems go! Here is line-up for the Singapore full marathon:

Pacesetters friends (whom I come to know running this marathon):
PK Chan
Lawrence Leong
Miss Tan
Yoke Peng
Peck Yah
Lim Fang Woei
Jamie Pang
Jason Lim
Amelia
Chooi Lin
Siok Bee
Ang Chee Kiang
Tan AB

Penguin and Sunshine Runners:

KC – yours truly
Chee Wee
Eric Teo
Tony
Chiam
Marvin Lau
Weng
Chantelle

In two days’ time, I will be going down to Singapore for the Singapore International Marathon (SIM) race with other runners. I am a little excited yet nervous because the last marathon that I ran was on 6 March 2005 in Kuala Lumpur International Marathon – almost nine months ago. This will be my fifth marathon challenge: three last year and two this year.

My personal best timing – surprisingly or strangely – was achieved in last year’s SIM. With a timing of 3 hours 51 minutes, it put me in the sub-4 hours of moderate elite runners group. Many of the runners friends were not able to achieve their personal best there due to the heat and humidity coupled with the hotness of those beautiful pom-poms cheering girls, presumably too hot to handle.

Both the above factors are not found in Malaysian marathons. My runner friends asked me what motivated me to achieve my personal best timing. After some serious soul searching, I answered: it must be the screams from the cheering girls that propelled me to surge faster and harder.

Training Distance

What I have done so far was just barely meeting requirement; the training programme specified it and I followed it dutifully, much less mileages and intensity.

One of my most active moments was in September 2005. I did three races in three consecutive weeks: starting with Putrajaya Half Marathon on 11 September 05; continued with PJ Half Marathon the following week; followed by Powerman (run 10km, cycle 60km, run another 10km) another week later.

I have been running 20km training runs every Sunday morning since then until last Sunday, 27 November 2005. Amidst the 20km training runs, there were two 30km runs also. With a total of 12 weeks, I have clocked in 260km.

Training runs during weekdays are a must. Assuming 20km per week, that would be another 240km. Which means I have done a total of 500km in training runs. Training becomes life: the moment I reached home after work, I would put on running shoes and hit the road for running. With the final draw of a full marathon, effectively, I would have run 542km for this event – quite an amazing feat for my standard.

The Race

Running a marathon is a serious matter that requires extraordinary conviction – don’t play play. Though my training distance is commendable but the longest single training distance is still 12km fall short of a full marathon. Again, what could happen beyond the 30km markers on race day is another realisation of unfamiliar ground. I am still nervous.

It is true that the first 30km of the marathon is run with the body and the remaining distance is run with the mind. Beyond 30km marker, the body and legs get tired. Deeper into the race, the muscle in the body or legs would scream in agony, and pain would be the dominant sensation. The human body has limitations; the human spirit is boundless. It is the minds that motivate us to continue surging forward and never give up in time of adversity.

And finally, when we approach the finishing line where fans lining the course, clapping, cheering and jeering, the victory would be the proudest and euphoric moment of our lives.

Wish us best of luck, will ya?

By KC


No comments: