Monday, August 09, 2010

Mount Fuji Trekking (2)

Yee Choi, the team lead -- Having work and doing business in Japan for many years, he can speak fluent Japanese and he is the best person to lead the 12-person team.

Please click here to view Album 3 by courtesy of WENG. At the end of this album, some of the photos (shoot in rain) are by courtesy of Gary Chin.
Spectacular view enhanced by the pure white clouds

The township below is clearly visible so are the five lakes at the base of Mount Fuji ... Chiew Hong

What a view to behold. It is steep at this level (though the photo is not able to show it)

Arriving at Station 8 (3,250 m) for dinner and rest for the night. The group started the journey at 7:50 a.m., tired and retired at 7:00 p.m., after having trekked for 11 hours and each carry a backpack of almost 12kg to 18kg.

Sleeping area -- Each is given a sleeping bag by the hut operator. Width is only 1.5 feet and there is only enough clearance to sit up. Don't complain, it is considered luxurious already; better than sitting outside the hut battered by wind and rain in coldness.

Dinner is served at 7:30 p.m. A very simple meal with rice, beef curry (can't see any beef) and a sausage. Forget about refresh and the smeely feet. The 12-person team, started as the enthusiastic 12 almost become the Dirty Dozen. Anyway, each is given a special plastic bag to keep the soiled socks and smelly shoes. Notice that the sleeping area is just next to the dining area shield by a curtain. The overnight stay and dinner is 6,500 Yen per person (RM 240) !!

Night view from the front of the hut at 8:30pm. Temperature is 9 degrees Celsius. The group sleep from 9pm and wake up at 1am the next morning intended to start the journey to the peak at 1:30 a.m. to see sunrise at 4:30 a.m.

At 1 a.m., there was strong wind that kick up lots of sand (sand storm); going up the peak was not possible. Later, the Officials called off the activity and the mission to scale to the peak of Mount Fuji was aborted due to bad weather.
Photos below are by courtey of Gary Chin

At 4:30 a.m., we woke up wanted to see sunrise from the hut but it was raining. So we went back to sleep until 6 a.m. After visiting toilet (pay 200 Yen, about RM 7.40), having cup noodles (retail at 600 Yen, about RM 22) for breakfast, the group descend the mountain amid rain and strong wind.
Still smiling for photos amid rain and strong wind. This is a different route when we ascend the mountain.

On that day (Thu, 29 July), it was raining the whole day until next day, Friday 6 am.

We shall try to climb Mount Fuji again next year to fulfill the unaccomplished mission, and that depend very much on Yee Choi's planning.
Arriving at Station 5 -- the commercial area where buses can reach

Gary Chin, Alexis and Jayne Aw

Waiting for buses at Station 5. Notice anything missing? There is no shelter for passengers waiting for buses. So it was a very messy situation waiting and getting into the bus donning raincoat.

Next: holidaying in Tokyo for three days.

Posted by KC

No comments: