Thursday, July 26, 2007

An Unhurried Lady Runner

Photos are by courtesy of Weng, Tey Eng Tiong and his friend.

What an exceptional feat for a somewhat late bloomer: Ran four races in four different locations in four consecutive Sundays! Though the number does not sound auspicious in Cantonese, but this runner was more than contented to conquer the distances in decent time and form – in each of these races!

These races comprised of a full marathon, two half marathons and a 10km run. I am pleased to introduce this lady runner – Geraldine.

Geraldine (left) at Seremban Half Marathon

Here are the four races that she ran recently:

(1) Penang Bridge Marathon on June 24 - 20th position; her maiden full marathon with an extra gold medal.

(2) Ipoh Half on July 1 – 15th position. She won a little cash prize which helped in paying off the hotel and car expenses.

(3) Siemens 10km Run in Kuala Lumpur on July 8 – she ran in 12th position.

(4) Seremban Half – she secured 3rd position, her best result so far.

As you can see, those were the remarkable results: 20th, 15th, 12th and 3rd. I guess if there is the fifth consecutive race, she may come in either second or first. Her position is improving in every race.

x
Penang Bridge Marathon on June 24, 2007 – promoted to Orange Bib (full category)

Okay, I have asked the following questions and I am sure you are interested to know too:

What was your feeling when you receive the prizes?
[Geraldine] Not delirious though the heart was singing with joy. I was calm, collected and wondering how much the lottery prize was! Hee! Hee!

How is your training in order to run that fast?
Foremost, it is important that I continue and love to run. There is no specific training. I just run when I feel good and strong. I was supposed to be more of a recreational runner, then again, a treat or two among the many races is not a bad idea. Now that I run with the Saturday LSD group, we catch up with each other during the long distance which turns out to be fun and worthwhile to wake up in the wee hours of the morning.
x

Geraldine in SMART Tunnel Run on 11 March 2007
.
What is your plan to improve in your timing?
Only way to improve is to do speed runs. This is physically and mentally tough. Though I did not put myself through this strenuous regiment, I do hope to be galvanized into this rigorous routine once I get the hang of it. Then again, it is hope to.

Any special diet (this could be a trade secret and you may not want to reveal)?
No special diet since I’m not a professional athlete. With age and vigorous activities, I do religiously consume the gamat gel (sea cucumber) to build up collagen and lubricate the joints in the body. More for preventive and maintenance measures.
x

30km LSD

P.S. She said that once I have posted the report, she will have to go incognito.

[I have checked the dictionary. It means “someone who is using a false name or wearing a disguise, in order not to be recognized or identified].

BRAVO Geraldine! Here wishing you more podium appearances in your future races.
.

By KC

.

No comments: