Thursday, March 09, 2006

KLIM 2006 - Run Like Camel

I was pleasantly surprised to see Power Gel was distributed to runners somewhere approaching 10km mark. Normally, Power Gel is only dished out to full marathon runners at 30km mark. “This is delightful that half marathon runners also receive Power Gel,” I thought to myself. Another caring move by the organizer was that the water station was within sight – less than 100 meters away.

After showing my gratitude to the volunteer who handed me the Power Gel, I emptied the whole packet of gel into my mouth. I began chewing slowly, tasting and enjoying the vanilla flavour. I timed myself that when I reached the water station, everything would be gulped down the throat with water.


When I reached the water station, to my surprised, the officials said, “Air Sudah Habis (no more water).” Oh my gosh! That was a big surprise to me and also to my running friends. How could it be no more water so soon? Nevertheless, changing emotional gear from disbelief to serious note, we continued with our runs.

At the 12.5km mark, the same thing happened – no drinking water too at the sponging station. A few runners actually started looking for those discarded bottle water at the roadside thrown by other runners. It was like looking for water in desert. A few desperate runners started drinking those left over water in the bottles. My running friends were all upset. The organizing committee member in-charged of water stations really made the runners go down that low.

It was quite an experience to me trying to force the sticky gel down the throat. I have to keep swallowing saliva to lubricate the throat.

Somewhere near the Dewan Bahasa Dan Pustaka area, a running friend gave RM 10 to his son, who was also running half marathon, and despatched him to look for shop to buy drinks. Well, that was wise move carrying spare cash around. The people around that area must be wondering why a few runners ran off course seriously seeking for something around the Choo Cheng Kay Apartments area.

When I saw the next water station at 15km mark, I was happy and worried at the same time. Eventually, I was so excited to see that there was water in this station. Without hesitation, I gulped down almost 1.5 litres of water as I was really thirsty. At that moment, I felt that I was running like a camel – drink lots of water and later run without drinking. We then continued our journey.

Written by Tony

Note: Choo Cheng Kay apartments were infamous for its vice activities and sex trade last time.

No comments: