Sunday, October 30, 2005

From Penguin to Sunshine Runners

“How come you don’t have pot belly one?” My friends and Pacesetters runners would jokingly ask me this question at times. Well, it is indeed a valid and interesting question as runners who are serious in running would eventually burn away the extra fats in the body and becomes slim. Worst still, for excessive running such as embarking on marathon races, one could actually shrink in body size.

After much thought, it is timely to look for a new identification. The Penguin name associates with fat, pot belly, clumsy and slow moving which does not agree with my beings now a days that I have worked hard to evolve to fit runner. Besides, I am not so sure whether this name put the ladies off.

When you log on to this weblog, did you notice any differences? Yes, the weblog name has been changed from Penguin Runners (KL) to KC & the Sunshine Runners. On the left sidebar, you would see the names of running friends and their personality’s quotes instead of the Penguin numbering. New friends are included, so are names have been dropped.

This similar weblog name is mooted from the famous band in the 70’s -- KC & the Sunshine Band -- whose songs are still being played frequently over the local radio wave.

All enthusiasts who enjoy outdoor quests are constantly associated with nature and sunshine. For example, after running in dawn for hours in training runs or in marathon races, it would be reassuring when we see the first ray of light over the horizon radiating warmth.

The process

The process of identifying a new name was quite interesting. Let me share with you: Though I am not a gambler, I know that the Racing pages in the newspaper provide excellence reference for names. The racers are actually very creative in naming their horses in the various races. While going through the list on the SundayStar Racing pages, the name “Sunshine” caught my attention. Yes, it would be refreshing to be addressed as Sunshine Runners.

Besides the original Sunshine name, I thought that it would be in vogue to precede it with “myOne” and it became myOneSunshine. So, I sent out emails excitedly to my learned friend to seek for opinions. The response was that though it is excellent idea to reinvent the weblog to give it a fresher look and feel; however, the myOneSunshine was a quite mouthful to read and pronounce. Besides, it sounds similar to the name of a popular bank loans. I was even asked that there was a popular band in the good old days with the partial name of Sunshine: was it coincidence or intentional.

On Thursday 27 October 2005, the following piece of news in the Star newspaper caught my attention: Aishwarya Rai – Bollywood icon and superstar in India – is the most prominent cover girl not only on magazines but on firecracker boxes also as India gears up for Deepavali on 2 Nov. I pondered for a moment. That was a clever move by the firecracker makers to endorse her and associate their products with someone who is famous.

On the same evening while on the way home after office hours, the song “Please Don’t Go” by KC & the Sunshine Band was played over the radio. This Band emerged as the most successful disco group of the 1970s. They produced a lot of fun records. The songs didn't have any serious messages, but they had a lot of charm. There was just good times, put on the dancing shoes, get up ... and dances to music.

Similarly in running, we do not need to have serious messages. We just have to put on the running shoes, run and enjoy the good times. And at that instant, it struck me that why not call the new name as KC & the Sunshine Runners as my initial is also KC. That evening, I sent out emails to ask my learned friend again. This time, it was with positive responses.

Do we disband the Penguin name? Imagine we are wearing long pants with tight fitting 33 inches waistline. It would be mismatch if the waistline had gone down to 32 inches. We would then buy new pants and belts while keeping the old pants in the wardrobe; just in case one day that we would expand the waistline again. So, to cater for the different conditions, I think it is good to be called Sunshine Runner now while maintaining the Penguin Runner name.

Sunshine on my shoulders makes me happy
Sunshine in my eyes can make me cry
Sunshine on the water looks so lovely…

… a beautiful song by late John Denver.

By KC

1 comment:

Joy said...

I enjoyed reading how KC & the Sunshine Runners evolved :-)) It's clear that the name works - I don't see any penguin-like, waddling runners here ;-)!

Thank you for sharing KC, Joy