Sunday, October 09, 2005

21km Training Run - 9 Oct 05

It was a rude awakening by the sound of loud thunder followed by torrential downpour at 2am, Sunday. On ordinary weekend, that would be a pleasant night for extended sleeping. But knowing that I would have to do a 21km training run in a few hours’ time, I just wished that the rain could stop quickly.

It was still drizzling when I woke up. With the numerous encounters on raining before runs, I just ignored it and continue to get things ready. While driving my car to Bukit Aman at 5am, I received SMSs from Chantelle, Weng and Eric enquiring whether the training run was to be cancelled. I replied to them that I was halfway at Federal Highway indicating that the show must go on.


You must be wondering why I was so committed. Even the rain could not dampen my enthusiasm. According to plan, we are supposed to do a 30km long run next Sunday. A 20km run this Sunday was necessary in order for our bodies to adjust to the long run conditions. This stringent requirement only applies to those doing full marathon in the coming Singapore International Marathon on 4 Dec 05.


Another reason was that Chantelle was chosen by Nike to be the NikeWoman for their weblog. Which mean Chantelle has to do a run this Sunday in order for her to gather more experiences to start her blog.

While driving along the Federal Highway, the rain seemed to get heavier. I was contemplating whether I was right to push on. Reaching Bukit Aman car par at 5.30am, I could not sight anyone there. I waited in the car listening to the raindrops hitting the roof of my car almost until 6am.

All the runners that were supposed to run had arrived. There were: Chantelle, Meng, Tony, Eric, Vivien, Chiam, OngSB and two of her friends. While talking to them, I was holding an umbrella in order not to get wet. After a brief discussion, we decided to proceed with the 21km training runs. And by then, the rain was almost stopped.

Weng decided to run in his Nikon Coolpix digital camera and had perfected the technique of running with the camera. He actually strapped it at his upper arm. This is to reduce the movement and jerking effects. With the camera strapped to this arm, he seemed to run in a slightly funny manner.

The whole group was running quite slowly, possibly around 6-7 minutes per kilometers. We chatted along the way while constantly rotating buddies to talk to. The ground was still wet and the air was cool and fresh.

Taking Photos


Other than busy running, I was also busy taking photos by assisting Weng. I have run many times at the Double-hill and Hartamas areas but I could not get hold of a camera and take photos along the way. With Weng’s camera, I was really having a busy time to capture all those scenic areas on photos.

In order to take good photos with runners in action, the process involved identifying the correct backdrops, then run swiftly ahead of other runners; adjust the camera setting and select the correct position. After running up and down for numerous times, I think I could have done much more than 21km.

To capture subject in motion (i.e. running), the camera was set to Continuous mode. In this mode, the camera shoots continuously while the shuttle button is held down. Recording ceased when the shutter button is released.

At the downhill about one kilometer from the Petronas station, I saw a young lady running alone twice in the opposite direction. I took a few photo shots of her and she was very friendly to put on her best smiles and V-sign. I was a little concern with her safety without the company of male runners.

At one point, I was taking photos for every runner that I met. Surprisingly, all responded with smiles and V-sign too. As I said before, all runners are friendly.

One of the focal point for taking the photos was Chantelle. At times, in order to capture the best view, she actually had to reverse her running direction in order to have the correct backdrop.

On the way back, we turned into Laman Tunku and returned by the Double-hill route. At that time, the pack consisted of Chantelle, Meng, Weng, Eric and I. By the time we reached Bukit Aman, guest how long we took for this run? Almost three hours! Last week, running with Meng and Chee Wee in serious mood, it took us only 2 hours and 10 minutes.

Singapore International Marathon

I have the opportunity to talk to PK Chan, one of the Club Committee Members who is responsible for the bus transport and hotel accommodation in the Singapore International Marathon. According to him, there are only 10 rooms left from the bulk booking with Hotel Peninsular at Singapore. And for the two coaches arranged by the Club, there are only 14 seats left.

Weng’s camera registered almost 400 shots for this morning’s training run. I was really having a hard time identifying and selecting the best shots at home. And after the screening process, only 72 photos were selected.

To view the 72 photos painstakingly chosen for you, please click here.

By KC


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

KC: I wonder whether v r distant relatives?
Leong YP

Anonymous said...

Hi YP,
hahaha... having the same surname, we could be.

Thanks for the leads.

KC :-))