Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Gunung Angsi - Part 2

Written by Jayne Aw
.

click here for previous postings on Gunung Angsi (scroll down the pages).

Trekking has become a worshipful ritual for me since signing up for the EBC (Everest Base Camp) trek, more so after paying up the financial commitment to KC.



The trekking trail is running parallel to the stream
I have never been so committed and relentless in the pursuit of a healthy body and mind (hopefully followed by a cleansed soul) until chancing into trekking last year. Not easy for someone who loves to sleep, especially during the weekends after the daily grind from Monday to Friday (I mean work). It takes great effort to wake up in the wee hours of the morning to get ready for the journey which could take from 2 to 3 hours, starting from where I stay.

We were heading to Gunung Angsi, Senawang in the early morning of 11 April 2009 (Saturday), which is about 1.5 hours from Kuala Lumpur – A delightful place for family outing and trekking.

Precision landing is vital in order to keep the trekking shoes dry
The trail starts with a gently inclined slope alongside the cascading stream. At certain point, one has to cross over to the other side of the stream by leaping over the boulders. Few trekkers were not so fortunate and slipped into the water. I opted for a safer means by wading across the stream with my bare feet. Not a bad choice though. Indeed a very refreshing walk in the cool mountain water.

After almost an hour's trekking in the shady forest, we reached the long march of the vertiginous climb. This stretch of climbing, or more likely crawling, has taken a toll on me and I was left like a tortoise trailing behind most of the trekkers. And half way through, one has to climb over a cliff by clinging on to the rocks like a spider and use the web (rope) to ascend.

Looks like an acrobatic stunt
The thought of the recent unfortunate fatal fall of the two doctors from Bukit Tabur, and Ann Lam's injury that happened right here during her last year's trekking due to the snapping of the rope has me hesitating whether to proceed or not. I was indeed shouting for "Tarzan" to appear, thinking that since my name sounds like "Jane", I might have some luck. Alas, no luck, instead I saw Tony from afar up on the other side.

Jayne Aw
BTW, a British magazine reports that about 150 Britons die every year taking part in adventure sports, whereas accidents on the roads and in the home kill 6,000. So the odd is 1 to 40. With my light-weight frame, I have no problem getting over the cliff and maneuvered my way upward. After almost 2 % hours from the start, I finally joined the rest of the trekkers at the peak. Going downhill was relatively faster and easier for me as compared to ascending.

As usual, no trekking would end without a sumptuous meal. We wrapped up our day by having an early dinner at a restaurant in Sri Kembangan. The food was good and cheap.
.
hmm... yummy... the famous steam fish (sang yee or haruan fish) and other delicious dishes

Each trekking trip brings me different experience. The more time I spend with Nature, the more I appreciate it and marvel at its creations. That has given me lots of insight and inspiration in my pursuit of Chinese brush painting, and this journey shall continue …
.
Written by Jayne Aw
.
Note by KC: Yes, we are glad to have Jayne Aw as one of the EBC team members..

No comments: