Wednesday, April 22, 2009

EBC Trekking Gear

I remember when I first went trekking to Cho La Pass in Nepal in May 2007 click here, I have a long list of items to buy from Kathmandu (the capital city of Nepal). After going there twice (the recent one was trekking to Annapurna Base Camp in May 2008) click here, I have bought a few extra items necessary for the next trekking trip – Everest Base Camp (EBC) in October 2009.

What AB Tan taught me was simple and practical – using three layers method. With the three layers on, a trekker is able to withstand the extreme coldness. When it is not too cold, remove outer layer. AB Tan has been trekking to Gokyo Ri, EBC, ABC, and Mera Peak (6500m) click here.

Inner Layer: Thermal or long johns
Middle Layer: Fleece jacket
Outer Layer: Down jacket

So last week-end, I took out my gear from the wardrobe, dust them and placed them under the sun for a while. Here is my gear preparing for my next EBC trekking.

Down jacket - for very cold condition. Down jacket is bulky and heavy. I bought this Hunt brand from Winter Times of Subang Parade, Subang Jaya for RM 170 during sales (retailed at RM 300).

This North Face Gore-Tex (with a fleece jacket inside) down jacket is bought at Kathmandu.

Wind/rain Jacket (Gore-Tex Waterproof and breathable) bought at Kathmandu. The cheaper version would be to use poncho plastic raincoat (which is hot inside).


Fleece jacket - for day tracking

Turtleneck Sweater - for sleeping at night (to cover the neck) and the head would be covered by a hood.
High-tech trekking shoes (bought at Pertama Complex for RM 290)
Posted by KC

No comments: