Monday, November 17, 2008

Penang Bridge Marathon

Runners running to the finishing line in front of Queensbay Mall for Penang Bridge Marathon
..
The finishing line for 10km Fun Run.
..
.
I Made It! An elated Joanne in completing her first half marathon. And the Penang Bridge Run is 4km longer than half marathon.
.
Sea of runners in orange
.
Crystal (from Kuantan Area Group of Pacesetters Club) is being directed to the correct side of the finishing line. Many of the runners were in similar situation.
.
How do they pass the overhead bridge? A short Chingay procession that spice up the occasion, only possible in Penang.
.
.
Runners running towards the finishing line
.
Sea of runners that can rival the particpation in Kuala Lumpur International Marathon
.
.
The Report:

The feeling of running at the Penang Bridge Marathon was fantastic. You have to be there to experience it. At dawn on Sunday 16 November 2008, there was no roar of vehicle on the Penang Bridge, no traffic jam and no exhaust fume – only the footsteps of runners. Just like the thousands of runners who shared a simple objective, I was focus in putting each foot forward mechanically.

A Dramatic Start

At 3:45 a.m., a designated area located at the huge open space opposite Queensbay Mall shopping complex was barricaded for the starting of men’s half marathon. There were thousands of runners inside. We were told by the officials to enter the barricade area, which was about 30 meters from the starting line. No one knew exactly where to start the race. I asked a few runner friends and a few runners also asked me the same questions.

Moment later, the aerobic session was conducted in the barricade area with runners full to the brim and almost touching one another. That was the most unusual performance in a crowded space. Within minutes, it died off. In the barricade area, we could see many women runners, which were supposed to start at 5 a.m., half an hour after the mens’ half marathon was flagged off.

I submitted my registration card, received the starting ribbon and instead of going into the barricade area, I went out and watched runners from outside.

At 4:15 a.m., we could hear the upbeat sound of lion dance. And moments later, runners started to jump out the barricade area! One Indian official was heard shouting and asking the runners to go back into the barricade area. It was like all hell broke loose. No one believed him and no one followed the instruction: the wisdom of the runners (knows where to start) against the administrative procedure of the organizer. Well, what a dramatic start.

At 4:25 a.m. – five minutes ahead of schedule – the race for men’s half marathon was hurriedly flagged off amid load sound of lion dance and a few officials waving hands at the runners.

Leading to the Bridge

The first 500 meters was running pass the commercial area with shop houses on both side of the road. The drains there smelled like some of those filthy drains found in my major cities. I was still waiting for the moment where “the fresh air smells like fish”. Later, we ran past a few high-rise and new condominiums where the road leaded the runners to the Penang Bride. One unusual station that caught my attention was the PowerBar station distributing packets of PowerBar and PowerGel to the runners. Temper was flying as I heard that the workers were saying loudly to the runners “take one only”.

Running on the Bridge

Finally, the moment which I have been waiting for – I was running on the bridge! That morning, it was breezy and cooling; the breeze blew from my left. However, there was no fresh air, and the air did not smell like fish – just ordinary air in the morning.

The view on my right was blocked by the raised dividers so the only view was in front and left. The sea was still and I could not hear any sound of the waves breaking on the shore. Running under the street lights, I could see there was massive construction work on the bridge to expand from 2 to 3 lanes each side. Looking out into the sea, dotted of lights lined the distant horizon.

I ran, and ran and ran. Finally, I arrived at the mid-span of the bridge after going up a gradual uphill, much easier than the Double-hill on Sunday morning training from Bukit Aman car park. Looking at the construction equipment, it was like running on the ground at some of the construction sites.

From far, I could hear many runners were shouting. I first thought that it was a strange location to position the cheerleading team there. Later, I saw a teenage runner was fainted lying in the road. He was attended to by a few runners and a few others were frantically climbing up the divider to attract the attention of the passing vehicle on the opposite side of the road. There isn’t any official (on motorbike) plying on this side of the road.

Towards the mainland side, I could see a film of mist. The air smelled like salted fish instead. Ok, that was closed to ‘fish’.

The journey continued. I finally reached the other end of the bridge. After making a loop on solid ground, I emerged on the other side of the bridge and I was on my way running towards Penang. From far, I could see the dotted of lights on the distant shore. The feeling was great as I would be running from the mainland to Penang Island. Though the norm is to travel in vehicle to cross the bridge, we only got this opportunity once a year – running on foot.

After crossing the mid-span of the bridge, a slight discomfort developed at my left foot akin to running 33km in my previous full marathon challenge. Oh No! Trouble was brewing. I was a little concern as that was a sheer sign of insufficient long distant training. After a while, the discomfort turned into slight pain. So I have to alternate my running with walking.

After crossing the bridge, I could see thousands and thousands of runners in orange T-shirts on the opposite of the road. Most were walking and talking cheerfully with their friends, and I was walking too at times albeit with a different kind of mood. Needless to say, those were the 10km Fun Run category.

Finally, the familiar sight of condominiums and the shop houses and the Queensbal mall were in sight. At 7:06 a.m., I crossed the finishing line clocking a timing of 2:42. Gosh, that was really slow! Nevertheless, that was a good start considering that I could finish the 25km run after recovering from my foot injury.

As a small boy, going to Penang for holidays and taking the ferry ride was something a grand decision by my parents and something which I was very excited about. My hometown is in Beruas, a small town near to Taiping. And Penang is very close to my heart. With the passage of time, the iconic ferry was later changed to Penang Bridge. On 16 November 2008, I finally ran the whole course of the Penang Bridge. When I ran, my fond memories of yesteryear surfaced. I think I like the idea of running on the Penang Bridge. I shall be back next year.


To be continued ... click here

Written by KC Leong

.

5 comments:

Quin 君 said...

Hi Runner!

It's nice to read a summary of your experience during the Penang Bridge Marathon. I enjoyed it too!!!
Nice to feel the sea-breeze brushing the skin! A Rejuvenating experience!

I'm new to running and Penang was my first half-marathon.

I was just a bit concerned with the participants it attracted. Not sure about your category,but for mine...i had to zig-zag from the start as the school kids were walking before they reached the 2nd KM. was pretty annoying actually.

But the great scenery at the bridge justifies it!

HAPPY RUNNING!

Anonymous said...

Hi, KC
Two things the organiser should improve,
1) the power gel station was suppose to be at 15km, for the full marathon, end up at 17.5 km, coincide with the half. Many are wasted, those runners just take a bit, say YAK, and throw away. The road full of half eaten bags with gel everywhere.
2)there is no water left for the full marathon runners at 17.5k, 20k, 22.5k, 27.5k, 32.5k, 37.5k, 40k. and very limited at 30k.
Fr Tan Ay Bing

Hengster said...

Enjoyed every bit of your report. Saw you at Penang, but I guess you forgotten me.

Anyhow hope your foot get better soon.

KC & the Sunshine Runners said...

dear all,

Thanks for your feedback and the compliments... :-)

Happy Running

Cheers! KC

Anonymous said...

If you've participated in our Penang Bridge International Marathon 2008, you could download your Certificate of Participation by clicking this link:

Certificate of Participation:
http://www.penangmarathon.gov.my/registration/certificate/

Thank you for your support.

All Full Marathon runners who finished within 6 hours run time, will receive a personal certificate from us. Please expect your certificate to reach you by next week.