Thursday, April 27, 2006

Transition From Running to Biking

Story by Chee Wee
Written by KC

The racers rushed out of the Transition Area in style. Some of the Duathletes were looking great and cool much like Tom Cruise in Mission: Impossible II movie when they transformed into biking actions after running 10km. With muscular and tan bodies in designer sunglasses, vibrant-coloured jerseys, tight shorts, aerodynamic helmets, black leather gloves, they pushed their gorgeous racing bikes swiftly out of the cordoned area. Oh gosh! I wished I (Chee Wee) was like one of them rushing out the Transition Area and not standing outside watching the real hot and exciting actions taking place.

At the Starting Line

It was an extraordinary Sunday morning on 23 April. After completing a 10km training run within the vicinity of Bukit Aman area, I ran to Dataran Merdeka – the starting area of Malakoff Malaysian Duathlon Series #1. I managed to arrive 15 minutes before gun-off for 10km run in the first segment of Individual Long Distance Event. I was glad to meet most of my running friends and to support them since I was not participating in this race.

I ran with my friends for the entire 10km course. Running with them and yet not actually participating in a race was a very different experience. I felt “light” without the pressure of securing position or completing the course within certain timing. Along the course, I was happily exchanging pleasantries about latest running events with other Pacesetters runners. Of course, I have to explain numerous times why there were no bib numbers on my vest.

Somewhere near Parliament area, I met up with Tony and I ran with him for the last one kilometre distance. Approaching the traffic junction at Bukit Aman car park and Monument, I saw KC was busy taking photos by standing in the middle of the road. Not to worry, the area was cordoned off and no vehicle was in sight. My only worry was that he could be knocked down by runners who were very focused in their runs and could not see him. I also saw a few of the Pacesetters runners cheering the racers.

Transition Area

Returning to Dataran Merdeka, it was an eye-opener for me to see the transformation of racers from running to cycling actions. I had careful observation from outside the Transition Area – an area cordoned off for safekeeping of the racing bikes when the race was in progress.

According to the Organizer, Quick Release Adventure, there were about 500 participants this time – a significant increased in participation. The price of each road-racing bicycle was ranged from, say, RM 2,000 at entry level to exceeding RM 25,000 of pro grade. For ease in calculation, if each was valued at RM 5,000-00, the estimated values of those bicycles there were a whopping RM 2.5 millions!

Much activity was going on in Transition Area. When the racers entered into the Transition Area, they would quickly run to the predetermined slot to retrieve their racing bikes. For those who were wearing the cycling shorts and gloves when running, they just have to put on the helmets and sunglasses and off they went out.

I saw a few runners in running shorts were struggling to put on the biking shorts. I believe those were avid runners who do not believe wearing tight biking shorts when running. A few just rode the bikes in running shorts showing their sexy, fair thighs and hairy legs.

Light my Fire

Seeing the action, there was the fire in me wanting to join them in cycling. I almost wanted to go round looking for a bike. On second thought, I decided not to do things hastily as I have not done any training on biking other than running marathons. Besides, I have heard of the dreadful NCE (numb cock effect) when the saddle kept hammering the buttocks for hours. Oh Yes! I was told that legs muscles could cramp in cycling.

Some were having problems with their bikes. There was one cute girl who was screaming for help urgently in need to replace a punctured tyre of her bike. Even the Event Announcer was seen rendering help by announcing to the crowd the needs for a new tube. Immediately, two guys ran out from nowhere to offer her a new tube. She responded with encouraging words by saying "I LOVE YOU GUYS". Almost having the tyre fixed, another two guys were seen volunteering to pump the air into the tube; so, they were actually four people attending the bike at the same time – amazing! That was truly good teamwork in helping a distressed fellow racer.

After that, I was mingling around with Jason Lee who was busy taking photos with his 8-inch long telephoto lens and Nikon D70 SLR camera. I could see he was totally focused in trying to capture those great moments when racers zoomed by. Because of the flat terrain, the racing bikes were travelling at fast speed, much like Sepang F1 Circuit at the stretch of straight road.

Compare to pure running, I agree that Duathlon race is a much more exciting sports. I may consider buying a racing bike and join the other Penguin/Sunshine runners to participate in future Duathlons.

Yeah! I love you all.

No comments: