Thursday, February 23, 2006

Running Becomes Life

Since KLIM is drawing near, here is another story on marathon. Nine days and counting to KLIM 2006.
x
One day after running SIM 2005 on 4 December 2005, I checked the calendar and counted three clear months to KLIM 2006. However, time passes fast: Christmas holiday was over, so was New Year’s Day, Chinese New Year and Thaipusum. And now, we have only nine days to go for the marathon challenge again.

Training was affected with the consistent downpour every evening. This evening, I was cautious when I managed to start my run. At 7.20pm, only a few laps into the run, it was raining heavy and again – training was abandon.
x
I was running at the usual playground near my house on Tuesday evening, 13 December 05, and I met a few of the regular runners. One of them exclaimed, “Wah, came back from Singapore marathon, can still run ah?" That was an interesting ice-breaker though the runner would not think hard for the meaning of his remarks.

The different in perception of the body condition was most interesting. To non-serious runners, they would think that after running a 42 km race, the whole body would be aching; or on a serious note, it would become a tragedy that has to be bed-ridden for weeks.

As for me, I actually resumed light running on Wednesday evening, 7 December – three days after the Singapore marathon. Why three mandatory days? This is to ensure that my body has sufficient rest to repair damaged tissues sustained from the marathon race – much like buying insurance. As for Chee Wee and Eric, however, they even went for another Biathlon competition (swim and run 7km) on 11 December 2005, one week after.

Is crossing the finishing line at the Singapore marathon the end of all running? Looks like it is not. After months of training runs where we run in the morning, in the evening, in the rain – running has become life and we cherish the camaraderie with other runners. One of my learned lady running friends said, "Running is like taking drug, it can be additive!" I quite agree with that statement. Even after Singapore marathon was over, I continue running and start looking for the next race, whether 10km or marathon.


Can Running Prolong Life?

Some people live sedentary lives. They eat, eat and eat; they worry what is not included in their meals and later only to worry how high the cholesterol level or blood pressure can go. Added on to their concern list would be a host of other related illnesses. Another learned running friend told me: "Running may not prolong our lives but it definitely improves the quality of our lives." Though I may like to think that running can prolong my life, the alternative result of improving the quality of lives may be a good reward after all.

Many months ago, I went to discuss work with my colleague who is in his forties. In the midst of a discussion, he dutifully took out two white pills and another two coloured ones, and gulped down with water. I enquired with concern and he said they were for stabilizing cholesterol and diabetic levels.
If given a choice, I would prefer to worry about not having enough time to run than to worry of my cholesterol or blood pressure.

x

It is most satisfying to live my life thus far without depending on medicine, and I can eat most delicious food I like without much worry.

Cheers to running and our well-being.

By KC

.
x x

No comments: