Wednesday, February 22, 2006

Being Thin

It is time for Kuala Lumpur International Marathon (KLIM). Browsing through my PC repository, I found this draft when I wrote for my first full marathon challenge in 2004.

On Friday the 13th of February, I bumped into a few colleagues in the same lift while going out for lunch. They were from the different floor. "Hey KC, how come you are getting thinner these days?" exclaimed one colleague. The description of thin was usually associated with a person having illness. My size 33 long-pants were very loose at the waistline. I really have to tighten the belt; otherwise, the pants would just drop off.

"I just did a 35km run last Sunday (8 Feb), and I am participating in the coming Kuala Lumpur International Marathon which is to be held on 29 Feb 2004," I replied. Immediately, my colleague raised his eyebrows in amazement and quipped, "You are very fit". And another colleague nodded in agreement. At that moment, everyone in the lift was laughing with the quick twist in the meaning of words.

The word "fit" justified that I was okay to be thin, a glorified situation as compared to the “thin” being caused by illness. When I told them that I would be going to run for about 5 hours (the longer duration the better; to make it sound impressive) in the Marathon, they actually looked at me in admiration and also disbelief. "How could you be running for that long hours? As for me, a 5-minute run seems a long time!" interjected another colleague.

Since the lift was reaching the ground floor, to summarize all the effort and pain of training at the Bukit Aman every Sunday morning, I replied, "Constant training, belief in yourself and commitment are important. And most importantly, join Pacesetters Running Club."


In life, certain endeavors may seem far-fetched to achieve. But with proper guidance and training, having perseverance when confronted with challenges, it may seem achievable after all. So, for the coming KLIM 2004, I am zero in on the finishing medal – ten days and counting. To the other runners participating in the KLIM, all the best to you too.

As of today, I have done five full marathons. The next marathon challenging would be on 5 March 2006. History seems to repeat itself – 10 days and counting to KLIM 2006.

Belief sustains the journey.

By KC

No comments: