Sunday, January 13, 2008

Trekking at Annapurna – The Preparation

The preparation for trekking at Annapurna Base Camp (ABC), Nepal in May 2008 has been progressing well. The response has been encouraging. More than 14 trekkers and runners – my original target – have submitted the names to me.

Air Travel

It is a tough decision whether to go by Royal Nepal Airline or Thai Airways. After much thought, we decided to fly Thai Airways again.

Royal Nepal Airline: The airfare is cheaper; direct flight to Kathmandu, the capital of Nepal. However, there are only two flights per week and the trekking schedule does not fit nicely with the twice-weekly flight.

Thai Airways: Though the airfare is more expansive, the flight is punctual and according to schedule, and it is a daily flight. Of course, the hospitality of stewardess is renowned.
.

I wish to express my gratitude to Chee Wee, our running buddy Penguin Runner-11, for his help. He actually went to Thai Airways office to submit the name list.

In an email to me, he wrote: "I went to Thai Airways office this morning before I walked into my office. I spoke to the beautiful lady at the front desk and unfortunately she couldn't help much on a group booking. She is so kind to refer your case to a sales manager, who can sincerely help on the group booking. We have a short discussion on your request and the required information has been given to him."

A few days later, the Sales Manager of Thai Airways gave me a shock. He called me that the seats for our departure date were full in May. He asked me to change date. So I made an urgent call to Mr. Cheban, the Trek and Tour Agent in Nepal (first time that I call Nepal) to confirm the new date. Later, Thai Airways managed to allocate the seats and the original departure date stays.

Trekking Itinerary

Currently, I am liaising with Cheban to fine-tune the details. It is really exciting to participate in the planning process to map out the treks. According to Cheban, there were noticeable increased in tourists and trekkers visiting the serene and scenic places of Nepal in September-November 2007.

.
Local Training

The team has its first training at the Klang Gate Ridge on Saturday 5 January. The next training date as discussed with Tony, The Mountain Sifu, is scheduled on Saturday 26 January at Pine Tree Trail, Fraser’s Hill.

It is encouraging to see that a few of the team members are training on their own. The favourite training ground is Gasing Hill or Mount Kiara Hill.

What to Bring on this Adventure Vacation

I find that one of the simplest sports is running – that includes very little thing to bring (main items: vest, shorts, socks and running shoes). But trekking in Nepal requires much complex examination of things to bring ranging from baggage, trekking shoes, clothing for trekking, personal items, personal first aid kit, etc. As for clothing, we have thermals, fleece jacket and down jacket.
.

On the Trail

Before my first trekking to Cho La Pass, Nepal in May 2007, I have no idea as to how trekking there is like. Thanks to TanAB, an avid trekker and a pacesetters runner, who spent two hours in explaining enthusiastically the details to me. Likewise, I will share my knowledge and experience to the other team members.

Other than the serene and scenic landscape, there are many lodges (or teahouses) lined the trail where they provide the much needed lodging and boarding after many hours of walking. The other challenge is to get used to the basic facility such as no hot shower (as fuel is a scarce commodity in the high mountains); no heater in the room when sleeping in cold nights.
.

Note:

Tan AB is also going to Nepal this April, date is not confirmed yet. He will be doing the Annapurna Circuit Trek, including Pisang Peak climb (more than 6,100 meters), if time permits. Two friends will be joining him. He welcomes any like minded buddies to join them. The full trip will require 22 days. The trek is graded as Level 4 – the level of difficulty is similar to Everest Base Camp.

Written by KC

The photos are extracted from here and here and here.

No comments: