Sunday, May 13, 2007

Nepal Trekking - The Preparation

The much anticipated event to my 17-day Nepal trekking trip is drawing closer – 09 days and counting! One of the most important survival gears to bring is a pair of good sunglasses, as informed by Wendy, the Team Lead. So, over the week-end, I went to one of the Sunshine Runners who owns two eyewear centres. Her name is Lynn Choo (click here to visit her weblog, or click the link on the left sidebar of this KC&SR).

After selecting a few, I finally chose one: reasonable price (a few hundred ringgit) and big enough to protect not only my eyes but also my face. I did not choose one which is very expansive as I told Lynn that: “in the wilderness when we go back to basics, not many people will pay attention to the sunglasses”. Yeah, I remember a few days ago, Miss Paris Hilton who appeared in the front page of Star newspaper also wore a pair of huge sunglasses to protect her face.
x
Yours truly at Lynn's eyewear centre in Bangsar Shopping Complex, Kuala Lumpur. Yow yeng or Leng chai or not?
x
Sunglass Joke

Let me relate to you my funny experience: Many years ago (before I join Pacesetters Club), I went on holidays to Koh Samui Island, Thailand with another four friends in backpack style. We then traveled en route to Hua Hin, a little seaside town 200 km south of Bangkok (on the opposite side of Pattaya). A peaceful and scenic place, it is the favourite resort of Thailand’s royal family including the King of Thailand with his summer palace adjoining the beach.

Our team leader, John, bought a pair of original Rayban sunglasses there that cost about RM 300 equivalent. While visiting the night market the same evening, I also bought one similar trendy design of Rayban for about RM 18 equivalent.

The next day, we went sight-seeing. While John was walking coolly in his original under the hot sun, I have to use my hand to shield the glare and squint my eyes to look at the surrounding though I was wearing the sunglasses. My friends were having a good laugh upon seeing my action.

Lynn’s Eyewear Centres

If you would like to buy eyewear or spectacles, you can visit Lynn Choo's eyewear centres as follows. She should be able to give you very good rate.

M & J Optometry Centre
D-0-11, Block D, Plaza Damas, Jalan Sri Hartamas 1, Sri Hartamas. Tel: 03-6203 9688

Lot S14, 2nd Floor, East Wing, Bangsar Shopping Centre, Jalan Maarof. Tel: 03-2094 8736

email:
mjoptom@yahoo.com

Note: for Pacesetters runners, Plaza Damas is just next to the running course from Bukit Aman car park en route to Sri Hartamas. You can even run straight into her centre while having your Sunday morning training runs.

By KC

1 comment:

Chipmunkrock said...

haha except that i won't be at the shop at such unearthly hours when you guys are running!enjoy your Nepal trip!