Sunday, May 06, 2007

Leading a Pack in Climbing up Klang Gate Ridge

I looked to my left and then to my right. It seemed to me that there were two trails. I pondered for a while to make a right decision. Holding torchlight in the darkness before dawn, I was leading a pack of eight trekkers climbing up Klang Gate Ridge.

At times, the terrain was engulfed by trees and the surrounding was almost in pitch black. In contrast, standing on the rocks not blocked by trees, I could see the stars on a cloudless sky. Looking further away, I could see the lighting of Taman Malawati area.

Super marathoner Tan AP (right) and friends. Vincent (left) has just returned from climbing Mount Kinabalu

We arrived at the base at 6:00 a.m. on Saturday 5 May. The original plan as suggested by Wendy was to start early so as to reach certain elevation to see sunrise.

The pack: Wendy, Ms Ann, Mr. Leong, Tan Ay Peng and seven of his friends; and not forgetting yours truly.

Wendy was in a hurry to return home so she started the ascent with Ann and Leong. In her absence, I automatically became the Team Leader for the other trekkers.
View of Klang valley from The Ridge

That was my third time I climbed up this side of the ridge. The second time was done on last Saturday. However, the first climb was nervously completed in October 2006. At that moment, I was fearful of standing next to the cliff and manoeuvring on the rock that looked dangerous to me.

Please click here to read my first report and photos on Klang Gate Ridge (also called Bukit Tabur).

After a few climbing trips up the ridge, I have overcome much of my fear and I am able to tackle the steep slope with much confidence.

With three sessions of gym work per week, I am maintaining much of my stamina though I stop running completely in recuperating of my heel pain. Walking at the forefront, I could step up my pace or slow down. There was occasion that I was about 30 meters from the pack and I even have sufficient time to record a little note in my 555 memo pad.

x
Kelly - tackle this tricky part of the rock obstacle with ease

All of TanAP’s friends were first time climbing up Klang Gate Ridge. However, a few of them have been to the peak of Mount Kinabalu. There is a lady trekker by the name of Kelly who was a runner, and she was able to overcome rock obstacles with ease.

There was not much coloured hue that morning. However, we could see the ray of sunlight piercing through the clouds.

I was climbing with my new maroon backpack meant for the coming 17-day trekking trip in Nepal on 23 May. In order to strengthen my shoulder, I carried four litres of water in the bag though I only drank 1.25 litres.
Sunshine on my shoulder... makes me happy

The climb took about two hours one way, and the returning journey took the same amount of time as well.

On the way down, there were quite a number of trekkers on their way up in batches. We even saw a group of International School pupils (mostly mat salleh) led by their teachers trekking up the trail.

All of Tang AP’s friends were satisfied with the climb. While descent, I could hear them cheerfully exchanging conversation with other trekkers (on the way up) happily proclaiming that they were first time climbing this ridge after reaching the peak.

I was pleased too that I was able to lead a group safely return from climbing Klang Gate Ridge. Special thanks to Wendy who introduce trekking as an alternative outdoor activity to me other than mere running.

By KC

No comments: