Thursday, July 21, 2005

My First Time

Nervously, I mounted on her. I have to raise my bum high up, bent my body low, straighten my arms and gave a firm grip on her. Immediately, I knew that it was tough as I have to hold her very tight. After half an hour of non-stop action, I felt pain at my ass; both my arms were tired.

I wondered how people could continue for hours. This is really too much to handle for me. Welcome to the reality of biking on racing bike.

While standing at the sideline at Bukit Aman on 27 March 2005 cheering the cyclists went pass me, it lighted up my fire and enthusiasm to participate in the next Malakoff Duathlon race. On Saturday 9 April 2005, I finally bought a brand new racing bike. The purpose is to participate in the Malakoff Duathlon race at Lumut on 15 May 2005.

Penguin-3, -6 and I actually went to Lumut and participated in the Lumut Duathlon race on 15 May. It was love at first sight -- I love biking. On that Sunday morning, after two hours of drizzle, the weather was nice and cool. The next best thing was the whole morning was cloudy. The icing on the cake was that the terrain was flat – ideal for a beginner like me to test out the biking race.

After years of running, I realized that it is more fun and excitement to include biking as part of the alternative choice. Someone once said: running alone is just like eating Kai Fan (chicken rice); it is good to include biking as in eating Chap Fan (mixed-vegetable rice) to increase the variety. I agree with the statement.

After two consecutive weeks of running Half Marathons (Seremban Half on 10 July and Malacca Half on 17 July), it is time for me to resume training on biking. This time, only two Penguin Runners -- Penguin-2 and I -- are going down to Johor for the Malakoff Duathlon challenge on 31 July.

How do I usually train? Due to my work schedule, I am not able to ride my racing bike and hit the highways after work. Besides, it would be dangerous to ride at night. Remember Ajeep, a Pacesetter runner? He met an accident while training at the LDP Highway at night. They call the training operation: Night Attack. Unfortunately, in the dim street lights, he ram into a pothole and was flunk out of his bike, hit the railing on the left and was later admitted to Sunway Medical Centre for treatment of a broken left collar bone.

So, immediately after work, I would go to the gym at my office. I would spend most of the time on the stationary bike. At first, the colleagues were curious how would a person who goes the gym just to sweat it out by cycling. Though it is not entirely the same condition as actually riding the racing bike, considering the limited time and safety, I think that is the next best alternative.

In anything that we do, there is always the first time: nervous and scared. But after the Lumut Duathlon, I gained a little extra experience on this new ball game of mine.

Unknown to runners, one problem with biking is the NCE (numb cock effect). The numbness is caused by the saddle hitting the buttocks and the genitals areas. After hours of non-stop hammering, undoubtedly, that area would be numb. Not to mention whether it would become blue-black bruise, since inspecting that area by bending our legs and back would require certain amount of effort. Obviously, we do not want to complicate matter for fear of causing unnecessary cramp.

Click here to read a lighted-hearted KL Dataran Duathlon report by Penguin-1:

*****

Click here to read a featured-length Lumut Duathlon report by Penguin-1:
By Penguin-1 :-))
.

No comments: