Sunday, January 04, 2009

Farewell to 2008

Written by Jayne Aw
.

2008 has been a tumultuous year for many. In the political landscape, we saw the unprecedented wins by the opposition parties in some of the major states back home and the first ever presidential win by a black in the history of USA. We also witnessed the speculative surge in crude oil price to above USD140 per barrel and prices of other commodities went roller-coaster. The horrendous earthquake in Sichuan had taken many lives, while the recent landslide near home had caused many to flee their homes. The tsunami that swept across the financial shore of USA had led many financial institutes into bankruptcy and begging for governmental support.
As for me, 2008 has been a year of discovery, both internal and external. It is also my first year of full utilization of my leave entitlement, which has never happened in my entire working life. This year alone I have traveled to many places both locally and overseas as compared to the other years, not that I have financial constraint in the past but I just couldn’t let go of the commitment……. But I have since learned to love myself more. So it is time for me to catch up with those things that I truly enjoy doing.

I always have a deep affection for nature, having been brought up in a small fishing village where I used to run and roamed freely on the fields and beaches. Crime was hardly heard of and tuition was a luxury then (sigh… I have my great empathy for today’s children). I enjoyed every step of contact with mother earth with my bare feet and the kiss of the wind, while my hair was dancing with the butterflies (I used to have long hair until I was active in sports).
Alas, my love for nature was suppressed when I left college and joined the rat race. It was office work from Monday to Friday; house work from Saturday to Sunday, overtime on public holidays (sigh…now my great empathy for myself).

Well, well, well. This is changing and I am back to nature whenever I could. Now I have become more conscious of the environment and am helping in my small way to restore the ozone layer by turning kitchen garbage into enzyme and organic compost. In return I am rewarded with healthier plants and pesticide free surrounding.
Trekking is one of the ways I have resorted to be close to nature, for it is in each moment of solitude that I find peace and serenity. On top of that, I am also curious to find out how far I am capable of reaching (the ego side of me is talking but I have nobody to proof to except myself). For each new height that I reached, it is both rewarding and fulfilling in spite of the pains and suffering. Even if I don’t, at this age (no more 18 lah!), it doesn’t matter anymore, for the journey itself is more important than the destination. Along the way with serendipity, I may discover beautiful scenery that can be frozen in time with my camera (BTW, the flowers enclosed herein are the shots taken during my various outings).

I am blessed to have crossed your path and have you as my friends, it doesn’t matter how we met and how long we have met.

As I bid farewell to 2008 and usher in 2009, I take this opportunity to wish you and your family a happy and blissful new year. 2009 may be a challenging year but for me, it will be another year of discovery and I shall continue to indulge my passion with nature.

May you be blessed with abundance of joy, love, laughter and happiness!
Jayne Aw
.
Note by KC: A well-written passage to share with us the reflection of writer’s thoughts to usher in the New Year 2009. Jayne just went trekking to Geochala Trek in Sikkim from 11-29 October, 2008. Click here for her detailed account of the journey and click here for the photos taken by her.
.

No comments: