Wednesday, March 26, 2008

An Unexpected Goodbye

By Geraldine

It was a thunderstorm afternoon on Tuesday 18 March. Fitri was shouting across the backyard, “Hujan! Hujan!” That was 3.00pm and the last we ever heard from her.

Some memories of Fitri’s chirpy and cheerful singing ringed in my ear. She was an Indonesian maid of my immediate back neighbour. There was never an alley between our houses so it was convenient for the maids to chat and announce their presence when they did their morning chores.

It rained again this afternoon at the same time as I vividly rewound the events that unfolded yesterday.
.

Oh! She must have died a most horrible and painful death as she was found sprawled in the living room. She was a mother and a wife. The perpetuator(s) was known to her, it seemed, as there were no forced entry. Even if she did scream, the thunderstorm would have drowned her cries. It was almost a perfect time for a perfect crime.

Her tragedy was reported in the mainstream papers today. A homicide so close to home – my backyard – seemed surreal. Houses that are being robbed and burgled are so commonplace which now pales against this tragedy.

Someone whom I know by sight, she used to sit at the entrance of the second gate to the TTDI Park where she would enjoy her chitter chatter with other makciks. That was usually the time I would be doing the evening runs.

At the prime of her life, she will be sadly missed by those who know her.
.
Geraldine - Participating in Pacesetters-GE30k on 20 January 2008 at Lake Gardens
Photo courtesy of Jason Lee

It was a little emotional time for me to write this short article. When I run this Sunday 30 March (Kuala Lumpur International Marathon), I'll run with her in mind. I just hope I'll be able to finish the route before the sun comes up.

Written by Geraldine
19 March 08

Posted by KC

No comments: