Sunday, September 11, 2005

Putrajaya Half Marathon 2005 Sep 11

By Penguin-11

Before the Starting Time

On 11th September Sunday morning, at Old Klang Road, Kuala Lumpur, at 5:05am, it was a peaceful morning when I arrived at the designated place to meet Penguin-2 & -7 (Khee Meng & Ah Kit). As planned by Penguin-2 for our departure to attack the Putrajaya Half Marathon run. Nobody was late, truly a spirit of KL Penguin runners.

September 11th was a sad day in year 2001 when two air planes were crashed into the New York City's World Trade Center (Twin Towers). Thousands of lives had gone & now, the skyline of Manhattan is without the World Trade towers presence. Well! let's move on & live in a better life...therefore, today I came to Putrajaya to run for the health & happiness.

I have two agendas to accomplish in this perfect Sunday morning. One was to take the race as a Sunday morning training run, and second is to compete the half marathon run with our own capability & to see how I performed under the hot & humid condition (the heat generated under the hot morning sun was tremendously strong; I was half-roasted especially after 9am). Putrajaya township is well known as a place without much of shades & high humidity due to its geological layout; may be a few years later, it will be different with all tall trees & more greens shading around the areas.

We chatted a lot in the car; we talked about the late happenings (about my car accident at the North-South highway happened last two weeks ago; on Penguin-2's recent success & adventure in his marathon run in Songkhla, Thailand...) but we didn't talk about those recent hot topics such as APs issues, Petrol prices, Reduction in road tax , etc (anyway, these issues are beyond our control & no point to talk about it & to be sad over them even though we are pretty concern!).

After nearly 55 minutes smooth driving, we were reaching at the Putra Square at 6:10am & parked the car there. It was still dark in the morning but we could slight a few buses & cars were parking at the area. Few yellow halo lights shining part of the square. We got off the car & headed to the public toilet. Then, we came back to change our attires & put on our shoes. After we have changed into our running attires, we were ready to head to the Starting area except Penguin-7 who could take a nap while waiting for the 10km event to be kicked off at the later time. Penguin-2 warmed him not to oversleep.

When we made ourselves to the starting area for the half marathon category; we met many regular runners; we met quite a number of Pacesetters members & friends. My good friend, Francis Toh, the VP of Pacesetters club called me while I was walking around the area, intended to do some warm-up exercise but didn't manage to do so because I was busy meeting people. Anyway, in my mind, I was thinking that I still could start with a slow run at the beginning for a warm-up. But, guess what? In spite of the thought, I was actually running at a 5 minutes pace for first 5km. I didn't realize it until Penguin-2 told me at 4.5km mark. Were we running that fast pace...sometime, I just run without paying attention to my pace & time.

We met Penguin-1 when we headed back for the public toilet again. So happy to see Penguin-1 who was already gearing up for the race. At the same time, I took the opportunity to personally congratulate him on his great achievement in this year’s The Edge Rat Race which was held on 6th September 2005. Together with a total of 500 runners from 56 companies took part in this year's race (annual charity event), his team had made a strong race & won the rat race competition.

At the Starting Line

At the entry point, we have to queue up & walk slowly to make our way into the barricade. We were standing & positioning ourselves at a situation like a "bumper-to-bumper" or "back-to-back" traffic condition. This told us the race was well promoted & overwhelming response. They were so many participants (including "mat salleh", who was wearing 007 bid, spotted by Penguin-1) taking part in this race, resulting in a cheerful atmosphere. We could hear the loud music as we were situated nearby the big speakers. I still remembered Francis told me some time ago that "we aren't the elite runners or don't have ability to win prizes; therefore, we are coming to enjoy the run & cheerful atmosphere."

At the place, I overheard from one of the runners said that "Singapore atmosphere also like it". Great, now, we could have Putrajaya to compete & organize a high international standard in running event. Hope, next year, the organizer can introduce & promote a full marathon category for the local & international runners.

Glad to meet & talk to some friends inside the barricade; to ease the standing at a limited space. We were standing at the middle of the big crowd. Nevertheless, we managed to take a few photos with Tey Eng Tiong & other friends before starting the race.

The half marathon race was flagged off on time at 7:00am. It was a bit late to kick off the run at such time as the morning Sun already raised up in the sky & shining on our beautiful bodies. Penguin-1 & -2 were running together from the stating point with the end-in-mind that they could finish the race & crossed the finishing line together (but, not holding hands? Otherwise, it might be misleading to people, hahaha!). As a matter of fact, they complete the race with their own style (before reaching the finishing line, Penguin-1 detoured to his car to take his digital camera).

From the first 3km, we were passing by the Government's buildings; the buildings are enormously huge & with modern artifact designs. I felt proud to see all the buildings & respect when passing by the "Palace of Justice" as a Malaysian. Our Government has been putting a lot of resources to build up the township. It is modeled after those well developed countries (e.g. Washington, USA). Generally, our Government is striving to its best for the betterment of all Malaysians.

Water & Sponges Stations

After running over the 1st bridge, I could see the 1st water stations where it was supposed to be set up. Immediately, I drank three cups of 100plus (three favors of 100plus served in the route). In fact, I was happily stopping at every water & sponges stations to enjoy the drinks for easing my thirst & preventing having a dehydrated condition under the hot Sun. To the extend, I have to make a pee-stop at the mobile toilet which was placed at 14km marker because of drinking too much of water. So far, in my life or the past races, I have never drank so much of isotonic & mineral water within a short period time. In this race, it was a totally a different ball game.

Nevertheless, I got to praise the Organizers for their well thoughtfulness by setting up so many drinking & sponging stations. Super! they was a total of 5 water stations & 4 sponges stations were well located & set-up. In addition, two water sprinklers were set up by the Fire Department & they were located at the 10km & 20km distance respectively. I didn't use the first water sprinkler as I afraid to have wet shoes which might cause some blisters in my feet; however, I used the second sprinkler & felt so great after running through it. Water was gently splashing on my hair, face & shoulder. Cool, man!

Bridges & Roundabouts

This was a tough route compared to the hilly slopes at the Bukit Aman. We were running to cover quit a substance area of Putrajaya, starting at Precinct-2, running through Precinct-3,-4, making a U-turn at Precinct-5, then running through Precinct-7, -8, -10 & -1, finishing at Precinct 2 after running across the Putra Bridge. They are total of 4 bridges & 3 roundabouts for all the half-marathoners to conquer. With the well & modern designs of all bridges, I was quit impressed with its structure & art-work.

U-turn

We were required to make a u-turn after the Putrajaya Convention Centre. Upon nearly reaching the u-turn, I was constantly looking at the opposite side to search for Penguin-1 & -2 who would be running in front of me. But, surprisingly, they suddenly showed up themselves before we were reaching the u-turn. We were shouting to those runners whom we recognized at the opposite side & at the same time cheering them (i.e. Looking good, Kenny etc). It was fun as we could see who were running ahead of us before making the u-turn, & those at the back right after our u-turn.

After the 5km distance run, going uphill slope, we were eventually spreading out ourselves. Penguin-1 & -2 were surfing themselves forward & I was starting taking up a slow long run pace. In fact, I was trying to keep up with them, but failed to do so. So, ended I have to flight for my own battle. I had my own mission. It was to finish the race within 2 hours.

For the first 10km, I was really enjoying the run & meeting some friends (i.e. Tey, Alden Yap, Jason Chin etc) along the way. They overtook me before the 10km distance mark. The route was mostly run at the outskirts of the town which was good for runners to see the residential areas of Putrajaya. But, sadly to say that I hardly saw any tall & big trees. In certain stretches, I could only feel some cooling fresh air especially under the bridge area. Most runners could sense the heat from the tar road & humid weather by now.

At the last 5km, the run was getting tougher because of the hilly slopes and we, the half marathoners had to run under the hot & humid weather condition. Glad that the traffic was well controlled. I actually told Penguin-1 that "we can run "freely" in this race". The traffic polices strived to control the traffic in the well manner. No messy, not like other races, sometimes we were running side-by-side with a car & breathing in the carbon monoxide. Over here, we were safe & we could run freely.

While approaching the last 3km, I started feeling the heat affecting my running rhythm. Despite those adverse weather conditions, I told myself that "don't give up & stop running". I didn't give up the run. Continued my journey with high spirit, then I saw Tey who actually stopped running & tirelessly took the coming back runners photos. I thanked him for taking the photos for us.
After the last water sprinkler, I surged all the way to the finishing line. At the finishing area, I could see a lot runners have come back especially those who took part in the 7km & 10km events. They were standing around the line, to cheer for the half-marathoners.

At last, I finished the race within 1 hour 58 minutes finishing time. I would think that for this race, it was using the right fueling strategy and perseverance that had gotten me to the finishing line!
At the starting/ending area, I walked around greeting and talking to Pacemakers & other Pacesetters members. KC was busy taking photos of "leng lui". I met my secondary school classmate (Christina Lim) who came here to take part in the half-marathon run. Overall, the race was well-organized.

Conclusion

A thought that reflecting in my mind during the race: "I will be able to run tirelessly & constantly if I follow this simple rule: Run within my breath, don't run ahead of our breath". Hahaha! but please don't take away my breath.

Cheers,
Chee Wee (Penguin-11)










To view 59 photos, please click here.

******************

No comments: