Thursday, January 05, 2006

New Year's Eve Fireworks Display

To view fireworks photos taken by KC, please click here.
x
The Y2K
x
This New Year countdown has a special meaning to me. In my previous New Year countdown, I was involved in the Y2K computer programs bug-fixing project in year 2000. It was a mere coincidence and convenience that the office at Menera TR, Jalan Ampang, was about 500 meters away from KLCC.

At the stroke of midnight, our hearts beat faster controlling the strike of program bugs. For the revellers, their hearts would similarly beat faster as the entire KLCC area was lighted up with a brilliant burst of fireworks to usher in the New Year – the celebrations which brought them there.

The Urge

After buying the Nikon D50 SLR camera on 17 December 2005, I thought that it would be timely to try it out on fireworks photography. With the compact camera, I knew it was difficult to capture the spectacular effect of the fireworks.

On Friday 30 December afternoon, my colleagues and I had our lunch at Alamanda Shopping Complex in Putrajaya. I asked the Information Center whether there would be any New Year’ eve celebration and fireworks display. According to the brochure, the festivities would start at 8.30pm with concert featuring such artistes as GerhanaSkaCinta, Jay Jay, Mirwana, SitiSarah, but did not mention about the countdown followed by a fireworks display. I was most glad to confirm that the fireworks display would be included.

The Preparation

Passing by Almanda, I could see that the stage for concert was already been set up. Further up another piece of vacant land, I could see some barrels that looked similar to the launching pad for fireworks. I was excited. On the way back to office after lunch, I planned out the route so that I could have fast exit after the countdown.

Immediately after work on Saturday 31 December, I rushed to buy an extra camera battery that cost me RM 200. Running out of batter charge in the midst of action would be anti-climax. One of the main activities in the afternoon was to get familiar with various functions of the camera by checking with the camera manual. Of course, I have also asked Jason Lee, who is good in photography, as to what shutter-speed and aperture setting were ideal for fireworks photography shots.

The Scene

I went to Putrajaya with another friend at 10pm. There was a roadblock conducted by police that caused a one kilometer traffic jam. I parked my car by the side of a 3-lane road in the direction to exit Putrajaya.

When we reached there, the concert was already well underway. There were hundreds of thousands people at the open space enjoying the outdoor concert performed by the local artistes. The revellers here were disciplined people but the mood was upbeat. Most of them came to the occasion with their family members and friends to enjoy a peaceful evening watching the performance and to wait for the grand moment.

We walked to the waterfront of Alamanda enjoying the view of water fountain and I was busy taking photographs.

At 11.30pm, we walked to a location next to a road where there was more open space. Seeing there was a concrete man-hole cover, I set up my tripod in order to have a firmed ground. At that moment, the traffic condition was very bad though there was not much honking around. I was waiting for the moment to come.

The Fireworks


At the stroke of midnight, I could hear the countdown from the concert microphone. There were no wild actions such as letting their hair down, dancing and shouting as they ushered in the New Year. I could not hear clearly about the people joining in the countdown as I was getting ready with the camera. “10, 9, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1” and the fireworks went off.

Immediately, I was tensed. Since the fireworks were shot in the sky with different heights and different locations, I had a hard time adjusting the vertical and horizontal swing of the tripod while controlling the camera. The bursts of fireworks at the start were smaller. Towards the end, the bursts and the fire trails were louder and intense.

The grand finale showed a few loud bursts with flames interwoven with one another and I felt I was submerged myself in the world of wonderland. After an exciting and spectacular array of fireworks display, good times only lasted for about five minutes. The crowd gave a roar sensing the end of the fireworks display. It was really a spectacular sight worth all the effort to be there.

Immediately, we left the scene amidst a massive traffic jam. We walked to the car which was about 500 meters away and then drove away within minutes.

The Results

I could not contain my excitement and at 1.30am, I uploaded the photos into my PC and started to admire them. I was quite satisfied with the results considering that it was my first time taking fireworks photography. However, there were still rooms for improvement and I need to consult the photography friends to improve on my skills.

A few of the well taken photos showed the bursts of fireworks with nucleus brightly lighted up radiating streaks of red, yellow, blue or green flames against the cool dark night sky. There were many different patterns: birds, spiky sphere, ghostly figures, etc. Of course, there were many unsuccessful shots which I could not catch them.

Reading the Star newspaper on 1 January 2006, I could see that the fireworks display at the KLCC in Kuala Lumpur was much more magnificent. Well, I shall gather a few photography friends to be at KLCC next year to usher in the New Year for 2007.

By KC
x

2 comments:

John said...

Hi Bro. If you're interested, you may email your photos to The Star's picture of the day. Who knows, you may win RM50 being the Best picture. Here's their email: thumbnails@thestar.com.my

Yes, they pay while you're having fun. Why not?

Anonymous said...

Hi John,
Thanks... I have an idea now. Will send one to The Star.

regards,
kc :-)